Swappable CNC/Laser engraver

Hello

I’m looking to build the MPCNC, however I’d like to also work as a laser engraver… I’m assuming the mechanics are not going to be a problem. Is there anything I need to be aware of in regards to controllers (thinking of using SKR 1.3 or 1.4 unless someone does not recommend it)

Also, does someone know of a spindle/laser combo (sizewise) in order to use the same z axis mounts

Thanks

Jim

The path of least resistance is to purchase one of the boards (from V1 or elsewhere) and drivers that V1 maintains firmware for. In the SKR line, they provide firmware for the SKR Pro 1.2 and the SKR 1.3 for both 2209 and 8825 drivers. I know Ryan has been running some laser tests using the SKR Pro. And there were benefits to a 32 bit board when using a laser (over say a Rambo board). I know other SKR boards beyond these two are used for MPCNC machines, but based on the questions on this forum, sometimes it is a struggle to get them running.

As for mounts you can either have a different mount for each device and interchange with a simple unbolting/rebolting, or you can have a combo mount. A combo mount may cost some X and Y work space. Also with a combo mount, if you leave your laser mounted while routing, all the dust may impact your laser. It is unlikely but not impossible to find a combo mount out on Thingiverse for your router and laser choice. If it is not available, modeling such a mount is not a difficult task if you have some modeling skills, or you might get someone on this forum to help you.

If you find a mount on Thingiverse that matches your router/laser combination but was created for the Burly version of the MPCNC, it is possible to put Burly mounts on a Primo MPCNC. There are slight downsides to this choice.

Edit: I was curious about the difference between the SKR 1.3 and the SKR Pro 1.2 and found that the Pro microprocessor has a hardware based floating point arithmetic unit. This might come into play for a fast moving laser. Here is a simple comparison chart between the two.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply @robertbu

When I said I wanted something I could bolt both the laser and the spindle to, I was not meaning they needed to be mounted at the same time, but rather that either could be mounted to the “fixed” part of the z carriage without needing to make a change to the that fixed portion… If we are only talking about a different “floating” attachment then this of course is more than adequate.

I only asked about the SKR 1.4, as I had a spare one (having ordered 1 too many for my VORON 2.4 build which is in progress)… However, based on your chart, it looks as though the SKR 1.1 pro is a more versatile way to go especially with the built-in WiFi, and multiple fan support (I have seen a couple of posts where certain MPCNC builders have mounted fans above the NEMA motors to keep them cool).

I’m also quite keen to help support the project by purchasing from V1 rather than self-sourcing (and as I am based in Europe it’s somewhat harder to get the imperial measurement bolts, which I understand fit better on the printed parts). Also, my VORON build is delayed as I mistakenly ordered some idlers rather than pulleys (and the 1-month AilExpress delay has only compounded to some frustration)

Thanks again

Jim

And of course the SKR bundle is not in stock

Just to be clear, the V1 has firmware for the SKR Pro 1.2, not the 1.1. I think the chart is still accurate for differences.

I am based in Europe it’s somewhat harder to get the imperial measurement bolts, which I understand fit better on the printed parts

For the Primo (latest) version of the MPCNC, all bolts are metric. Here is the current parts list for the Primo.

As for the SKR 1.4, if you are comfortable with modifying firmware settings, flashing firmware, and perhaps working through problems, I’m sure you can get it working. I don’t have an SKR board, but I scan most of the posts that come across the form. And I see posts like this one where the builder had to do some work in order to figure things out.

I was not meaning they needed to be mounted at the same time, but rather that either could be mounted to the “fixed” part of the z carriage without needing to make a change to the that fixed portion

No problem there. The only issue is whether you can find a mount already modeled on Thingiverse for your specific laser, or whether you will have to model one up. I done a couple of mounts, and they are pretty easy to create.

And of course the SKR bundle is not in stock

I remember a post recently where more of a couple of kinds of boards is expected soon.

Thanks again @robertbu

I think I’ll give the SKR a go. In regards to firmware, is Klipper suitable firmware

Lastly, and sorry to keep pestering with questions, are there some spindle and laser recommendations to go for?

thanks or everything

Jim

is Klipper suitable firmware

Jeffeb3 who maintains the firmware for V1 commented on a Klipper question on the forum last year with, “It has been done.” So it is possible, but I’m guessing you’d have a bunch of research and work to make it happen. It’s not something that is routinely done for an MPCNC.

spindle and laser recommendations

On the spindle front, routers are king. There are lots of posts on the forum on spindle choices, so I encourage you to do some forum searches and form your own opinion. My take is that the DW660 is #1, followed closely the Makita RT0701C which gives you built-in variable speed and a bit more power at the cost of more weight. The DWP611 is in third place. I believe it is the recommended choice for the LowRider, but I don’t see them as much on the MPCNC. Spindles are infrequent choices that tend to be quieter but are often underpowered compared to routers.

On the laser front, for some time JTech lasers was the go to solution to get something easily running. People often struggled with cheaper Chinese lasers. Lately I’ve seen the NEJE brand being used with success at a cheaper price point. And people seem to be having more luck with the Chinese, no-name imports. And a recent firmware update has more support for lasers. This is just my impression from “grazing” the forum laser posts. I recommend you do some searching on the forum, and then open a new topic on laser choices if you cannot find what you want.

Hello Robert

I went out and purchased a palm router, but rather than looking at all the specs, I went on price… Maybe not the best way to go every time

I purchased a VonHaus 710W (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07DP4RSZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)… But I never checked the spindle overall size to ensure it would fit in the Primo “block”.

The overall spindle diameter is 65mm or 2.55 inches

Big question… Will this fit?

Thanks

Visually and based on the 65mm measurement, this router is a copy of the Makita palm router. So it is highly likely that the Makita router mount that Ryan modeled and releases here will fit this router. The one issue might be a problem is clearances for the upper portion of the router. If this is an imperfect clone, than the upper portion might intersect the heads of the bolts. If this happens, and you need some help modifying the mount, I’ll be glad to help.

1 Like

Hello Robert

I printed the lower bracket for the Makita, and confirm that this seems to fit perfectly on the VonHaus router, just in case you want this documented somewhere

Colour combo looks nice too (as my MPCNC will be grey ABS+ for the main parts and Orange ABS+ for the accent parts)

Rgds

Jim

1 Like

There is still a potential clearance issue to be looked at, and you will only be able to check it out when you have the core and Z axis assembled. But this router looks so similar to the Makita, that it is highly likely the mount will work. You may find that the cord where it leaves the router hits the one of the rails when the router is pushed all the way towards the rails. I had to modify my cord using this.

Nice mod… However I was thinking of replacing the power cord with a MOLEX connector meaning that I can unplug the router directly and keep the power cabling the cable chain