Software/processing for slicing large model

I have a model that I would like to slice up into layers and mill out of 10cm thick pieces of foam to be glued together when done.

I’d like the finished product to be ~100cm tall.

I’m currently trying to work out which process/software to use in order to accomplish this.

Screenshots of model included for reference.

Screenshot from 2020-11-21 11-04-57

Screenshot from 2020-11-21 11-05-21

1 Like

I did something similar in Made in slices.

I tried a couple of different pieces of software, but fusion360 suited me the best. I made some planar slices. I think if I had to do it again I would make more slices perpendicular to the outside of the model and I would use 2 sided milling.

2 Likes

I too would use Fusion 360. It is very easy if the model is a native Fusion 360 file, but only slightly harder with an imported mesh. I use a “trick” when doing this kind of splitting. I build an array of line segments in a sketch. For splitting imported meshes, I attach a “Plane at an Angle” to each segment. Doing it this way means that you can edit the cuts by editing a single sketch. You can also use things like in sketch mode like a rectangular pattern or dimensions for placing the lines.

For imported meshes, you will need to do one split per plane. If the model was native to Fusion 360, you would not need the planes, just the drawing, and you could make all the splits in one operation.

Your project there was actually the thing that got me really excited about giving this approach a try.

I just checked, and slicer plugin for Fusion 360 is no longer published.

Does Fusion 360 still support a way to do slices without the plugin?

Also, how hard does it look like it’s going to be to handle overhangs with the design that I am trying to do?

Thanks, will reread that a few times to see if I can figure it out.

My post assumed you’ve some experience with Fusion 360. If you are starting from zero, I can give you a more detailed explanation. My method does not use the slicer, but you will need to do individual plane cuts for each layer.

My level of experience so far is only to the point of having done a test crown.

Do overhangs look like they are going to be a big problem with my model?

Any suggestions (especially those tailored to noobs) appreciated!

1 Like

I had a fair bit of 3D printing experience before I built my MPCNC. I found I have to think in an entirely different way when considering CNC projects vs 3D printing projects. Machines like the MPCNC (often referred to as 2.5D machines), don’t do overhangs. If you have an object that must have overhangs, you may be able to mill it by doing one side, and then flipping it to do the second side. I consider two-sided milling an advanced topic…not something to be considered just after you’ve done the crown.

I’d need to examine your model, but you might get away with one-sided milling. My first thought is to cut it this way:

This cut will likely reduce but not eliminate overhangs, but foam is easy to cut, and the layers will hit at the cutting to be done. That is, you can assemble the pieces and then do some hand carving to finish the overhang areas.

If I was doing this project, before slicing, I’d cut two cylinders perpendicular to the layers out of the model. This would allow me to use a couple of dowels to align the layers.

And as a somewhat unrelated tip, foam is easily damaged. I’ve done some cosplay props in foam, and I cover them in monster mud. Monster mud is a combination of wall joint compound and latex paint. It is amazing how much just a single coat toughens the surface.

1 Like

I highly suggest making a few more cuts before trying to tackle such a large project. Why not make a small one piece version or anything else carved in foam. I know it doesn’t seem like it but you are trying a hard cut. Not having made nay cuts of your own at this point, getting a little time under your belt is going to make sure your learning curve is not so extremely steep.

3 Likes

In FreeCAD, you would create an array of plane objects in the draft workbench and do a subtract in the part workbench. For this shape, you would have to to rotate each slice to see what the most you can get from milling, there would likely be situations where you have a slice that would need further slicing and rotating since you can’'t mill an overhang, and it takes forever for slopes. Would be more of a puzzle piece than anything, probably. Could save some time by not milling everything but scoring a line to be used with a saw / wire.

Cheers!

This is something I have planned for my “next time”