Software install for Rambo 1.4. I

LLOYD,

I just looked at the BobCAD website and couldn’t quite see if the output is basic g-code. If it is then the program should work. If it must install it’s own firmware on the controller board it may still work, but most of the posters on this forum use other programs. It looks like the price for the lowest cost package is $995 (!)

Many of the users on this forum use EstlCAM which costs less than $60.

If you already own BobCAD, or are otherwise locked into the program, you’ll probably have a few challenges with the RAMBo board.

Do you already have a MPCNC or are you just starting to look/build one?

Mike

1 Like

Marlin gcode isn’t completely compatible with grbl gcode. Big differences are:

• Marlin doesn’t allow multiple commands on one line. Sometimes they do stuff like G90 G20 in one line. Those will at least skip the G20, maybe also the whole line.
  • Marlin doesn’t allow inches at all. Units are mm and speeds are mm/min
  • Marlin doesn’t treat G0 travel moves differently. So you need to add the speed to G0 moves to make them faster, and you can sometimes end up with very high programmed speeds in Z, so ideally, the speed is defined for every move.

That may sound complicated, but it really isn’t. As long as these are options to set on the output gcode, then it should work fine.

But I have never heard of bobcad, and that usually means you will have to figure something out first. If you’re paying over $1k for it, maybe they would be willing to help you figure it out.

If you know gcode, take a look at the test crown premade gcode for an example of gcode that is well defined for Marlin.