Smallest lowrider?

How small is the smallest lowrider? I’ve seen 2x4 (600x1200 for my NBFs).

I’ve got that mobile primo I built a while back collecting dust. It works great…too great. I can’t stand to run it slow, but I can’t keep up with all the wood or acyrlic chips and dust, and i haven’t been able to protect the bearings. Always jams up and I lost the last 4 work pieces before i got frustrated.

Anywho, if i pull the primo off the base, it looks like i could build a 13x24 lowrider (330x600, again for my NBFs) for the price of a bag of bolts, a bag of nuts, some mgn, one stick of EMT, and the plastic because I have everything else.

It seems like a goofy project, I know, but I think I’d like the integrated vac solution, and at some point I’m going to build a full sheet anyway…after i build a(nother) table. Then moving it will be a matter of cutting metal side plates, the struts, and new emt. Probably some extra strut braces and rail sports. But everything else will be in place and configured. Should make the swap easier, I’d think.

I’m gonna keep chewing on this, what do you think?

Seems like a dust show would solve your problems? There must be something that fits for you. There are also 4 screws holes on the bottom of your core if you just want to whip up some sort of quick and dirty vac shoe and just hang the hose out the side.

I did try hanging the hose out the side, but it wasn’t enough without the shoe, AND the ridges on my vac house got caught on the corner of the table.

What i really want from that smaller machine is 12x24, and I didn’t build any allowance in for dust collection (my fault). Everything I’ve seen takes up room in both directions.

Ultimately, i think i just need to put a bigger top on the box so i can build the primo bigger and get one of those vacuum solutions working, but this seems like a fun oddity on the way to a full sheet cnc that won’t cost me much extra to build along the way. That, or I’m a little dense and i should really get back to making the stuff that makes me money.

Yeah, screwing it on the bottom is a good option so no room is lost. As for the hose catching, you could keep a loop on the table or connect it to one corner. There should still be a shoe though, not just the hose. Maybe I can sketch it up over the next couple day but not Monday.

2 Likes

I hope that means you are taking Monday off!

Somebody wants me to engrave things that won’t fit in my K40, so I had to take a detour.
THIS is one of the many reasons I love V1!
I don’t know what’s up with my mega ramps, btw. Using grbl mega (even the fork by enducross) i couldn’t get a signal on D44. Took the ramps board off and i can’t get any continuity from the mega side 44 to the ramps aux group 44. Maybe a cheap board? I dunno. Dug out the rambo (which i flashed with another user’s grbl for rambo about a year ago) and once I got the wires from the diode instead of the feed hold (lol) it works great!

1 Like