Slab flattening setup question

I am starting to gather the supplies to build a LowRider. But before I do, I have a question on table design. I plan on building a full sheet CNC as I have the space and desire, but I also want to have it be able to flatten slabs/table tops once they are build as I don’t have a planer large enough to do this. I don’t plan on doing tons of slab flattening but want the ability to do so as I want to build a new dining table for my parents as a gift. My question is, instead of building a drop table, could I build a “standard” CNC table and use MDF strips and mount the CNC rails, etc on them, flatten my slab remove the MDF strips and then remount the machine back on the table?

I appreciate any and all help.

2 Likes

Yes, that is doable. There are some people that have done it, maybe a quick search will give some results.

Welcome :smile:

I have the LowRider on “rails”, I could take out the spoilboard and place a thicker workpiece I want to flatten there (since I am not cutting through when planing).

not sure what size of slabs you plan on using, but this can maybe help too.
Making a Benchtop Jointer Out of Plywood - Make: (makezine.com)

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do that - particularly if you are not doing it regularly.

I don’t want to sound like a heretic here, but for the effort involved, you might be better off just building a big router sled and using a larger router (if you have one) and finish off with a sander. Something like:
https://lazyguydiy.com/lazy-guy-diy/2017/05/30/DIY-Router-Sled-Tutorial-For-The-Big-Ol’-Slabs

I used to square up boat centreboard blanks and laminated bench tops like that, then do the final finish levelling with one of these:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/bevel-up/52414-veritas-bevel-up-jointer-plane

That was seriously satisfying, and quite fast but I’m not recommending it as you can pretty much build the LR3 for the price of the plane! :open_mouth:

1 Like

How wide of MDF “rails” would you recommend? And also would you increase the the depth of your table to accommodate them?

Both tables that Ryan and Doug designed have those elevated rails, you could just load up their sketches and check. :slight_smile: I kinda winged it. There are loads of pics in my build thread or on youtube. :smiley: