SKR Pro, TMC2209, TFT V3 E3 -help wanted-

No. I’ve been through all of the baud rate settings several times over. The Pi doesn’t even see a USB serial port.

I am able to confirm that firmware flashes appear to be happening as no matter which firmware.bin I use, it renames it to firmware.cur, the green light blinks when the flash happens, etc. Just no connectivity whatsoever. I did confirm the serial port settings are unchanged in the configs.

Hmmm. Not good.

Can you try a known good firmware.bin, like the one from the release page of MarlinBuilder?

I’ll give one a try here in a bit.

She’s dead Jim…

It flashes firmware all day long, but all serial connectivity is gone. No connections via USB, TFT, etc. Apparently it is a common issue for these boards to corrupt the bootloader based on everything I can find, and Biqu has not released the bootloader source for it. This is one of the reasons it is not USB flashable. I’ve emailed the vendor already and am just waiting for a response. Hopefully they replace the board, considering I’ve had it for less than 30 days.

I’ve actually flashed the bootloader on mine. It can be done. Someone pulled the bootloader off of a working board. If you have a USB to 3.3V uart, I can try to help. First I have to find the github issue where I posted my commands…

I wonder how it got corrupted in the first place.

I found an app in linux that made it super easy. But I have a uart adaptor already. I wonder if it could work with the pi. Maybe even the gpio serial port…

It’s funny you say that… I have a UART adapter, but am about to connect one of my spare Pis up to the BTT board. Give me a bit to crimp some jumper wires, and I’ll get it connected and see if I can see anything in OpenOCD.

I dug out my UART adapter and started the process with the instructions you provided.
It fails at 2% of the download process with this error. This has happened multiple times.

I did verify that the adapter works on some other hardware I have, and I am able to successfully flash to those devices without issue.

Edit: Switched the UART adapter over to my Asus Tinkerboard and followed your instructions. Spot on. It is writing now, and I’ll edit again once I know the results of the flash.

1 Like

Oh no…are these boards fragile in some way…

Not necessarily…

The vendor I bought from (kingprint) is playing dumb in their emails to me… Either they’re translating (and failing badly) or they are deliberately avoiding the issue I am raising. I have yet to confirm which.

Additionally, my flashing is failing. Failed to read ACK byte is the error I get.

Huh. Bummer.

It would be bad for you, but I hope it is something wrong with your board, and not a larger problem. For your sake, I hope it is something simple.

The linux command went pretty quick and effectively for me.

1 Like

It’s definitely a board issue in this specific case. It consistently fails between 20 and 30% on the write,. I plan to hunt down a shorter USB cable tomorrow to see if maybe the pretty-worn out cable is part of the issue. I also ordered a ST-Link adapter tonight so I should see that in a few months, based on the mail delivery the last two weeks. I’m not done brute-forcing this thing yet. I had the machine running today and was tweaking end stop settings and getting homing working. I planned to make my first real work surface movements tonight, even if I wasn’t cutting.

1 Like

Did you take everything else off of the board? You don’t need much to flash it.

1 Like

The board is sitting on my desk right now, with nothing else on it except the stepper drivers.

I was able to complete a flash by moving the board power jumper from the USB power to the Power In pins, and then resetting the board, running the command, and it completed.

I then powered the board down, removed the Boot0 jumper and moved the board power jumper back. Connecting the board to a USB port on my PC gives the same non-result. No USB connection detected by the PC. Putting my original firmware back onto the SD card, I plugged it in, booted the board and watched the green LED do it’s thing for about ten seconds or so until it stopped. Rebooting the board again still = nothing. No results from the USB connection. I have even removed all of the drivers from the board and still no go. The board is there and doing stuff, but I have no way to actually control it and tell it what to do.

This wouldn’t happen to the crappy sd card issue that the skr’s ship with, is it? Mine bit the dust the second time i tried the flash it.

I would say yes, as the card is now non-responsive after the issue started, except that even with several known good and working cards, the issue still persists.

It has to be a card 32gb or less formatted in fat32 or it will not work.

2 Likes

I have tried several cards ranging from an old 4gb to a brand new 32gb, all cleaned with diskpart, I even popped one into a go pro and had that lay down a FAT32 partition to see if Windows was doing something weird… No luck. The vendor is asking me to multimeter the voltage rails so I need to get that done today.

Just to confirm I didn’t totally fubar something, this looks right, right?

#define SERIAL_PORT 1
#define SERIAL_PORT_2 -1