SKR-Pro 1.2 won't update firmware

Ok longtime listener first time caller :slight_smile:

I have the LR3 Kit and SKR Pro from V1 etc. LR3 built and just doing the connections. Using dual endstops, but getting stuck on using the right firmware from V1 for LR dual endstops.
I know the steppers in series firmware is loaded on the board by Ryan.

I have two issues for the life of me and days of searching I can’t work it out. Found a few examples, but nothing right on point (could be wrong of course).

1. Can’t flash firmware:

• I have a 2mb Micro SD card, formatted with fat32 (also tried on another 8mb). All repartitioned and formatted to fat 32.
  • I copy the “firmware.bin” file from V1

Named it “FIRMWARE.BIN”.
put into the board, and sometimes I get green lights, but never got the card name changed to "Firmware.cur"

Once i got the lights, but no file change. The steppers were all over the place, so assumed I did not have the firmware on. I followed the instructions on the guide and the forum posts on stepper placement etc.

2. Board now won’t respond.

I get this (after I removed all the drivers etc etc back to bare:

Have I bricked it? The Three lights don’t change, unless I change to USB power with the jumper then just one is lit. Could not find anywhere what the lights mean?

I have ordered some new 8gb micro sd cards, but not sure that would help.

Any ideas? Thanks for all the help, this is great forum.

cheers Simon

I’ve seen a couple of issues similar to your come across the forum. The solution, at least in one case, was to install a new bootloader. That does require a USB to TTL Serial Adapter. Links to instructions and an adapter can be found in Ryan’s post in this topic.

If you bought it as part of the bundle, I should have already loaded the firmware you needed on it.

Another thing to try is remove the power, change the jumper to use USB. Then insert the card, plugging in a powered USB and see if that helps anything.

Try holding the card in, I have seen one example of the card not staying in.

If that doesn’t work the bootloader could fix it, or you can send it in to have me try it.

Thanks I will give that a go. I actually have 2 cards with the same problem so might buy the adapter and send one to Ryan to see if he can help. Thanks again for the great help.

Thanks Ryan tried that with no luck. Could I send one card back for u to have a look at please? I have 2 from u with the same issue (that makes me think operator error for sure!). Thanks again for help.

Did you un-zip it first?

1 Like

Just to be sure you have unzipped it correct?

Yes absolutely I unzipped. Just to make sure i don’t have to hand in my IT card :slight_smile: I used 7 zip to unzip again. Also why I have you guys, is the uppercase in the name important? I have been changing it, but wondered general. Thanks for the tip though.

I actually used a similar solution ~ 1 month ago on an SKR 1.2 Pro that I thought was bricked. It ended up working, but I thought of it like editing the BIOS on my PC: use it is a last resort.

Something that I tried (on a different board) that worked was creating a dummy “FIRMWARE.CUR” (manually rename the a copy of the “firmware.bin” ) and put it on the sd along with the desired “frimware.bin”. Can’t say exactly why, but the dummy seemed to prompt the board to complete the loading and rewriting of the desired bin.

2 Likes

Great idea David, thanks I will give that a go! I have two boards that have this, so later I will try and work out why both had this happen. I am sure of course it is something that I did, just can’t work it out.

No luck, I will try the bootloader process. Just waiting for the adapter. thanks again!

No.

That should fix it. I have no idea why this could be happening. I am still following along to keep an eye on this.

Guys, I bought another SKR Pro 1.2 and was able to load the firmware no problems. Just received my USB to board connector, so will get around to trying to revive the boards. Just an update thanks. Simon

4 Likes