Questions re: spindle speed range for aluminum

Hello all. I am intending on purchasing the 611 router but I wanted to know if it has any speed related limitations for cutting aluminum. What I am asking specifically is:

1. Does the router need to go below 10,000 rpm for milling aluminum?
  2. If so does that change the type of router I should be looking at?
  3. Some of the router speed ranges start at 10,000 rpm. Is this a problem for milling aluminum?

I am under the impression from reading, that you need rpm speeds of less than 10,000 rpm unless this is mitigated by changing the feed speed.

Total newb so help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

I’m using a DWP611 to cut aluminum. You are correct that in theory the bit should be moving slower than 10K RPM, but in practice I’m finding that running that router at about 4.5 (which I estimate to be 22K RPM) is working best for me. See examples here: Build in Progress in Maryland

If you find you need to run at slower RPMs you could always run a router speed controller (basically a variac) on the router power line (available under a couple different brands, but one is from harbor freight for under $20).

Bottom line - the 611 definitely works for cutting aluminum. Is there a better choice - maybe? But I don’t know what that would be.

Thanks very much Kizmit99. And wow, those pics look great. If I get results like that I will be extremely happy.

If a speed control is used, do you think the router will still have sufficient torque at the lower speeds below 10,000rpm?

Sorry - I have no direct experience with the speed controller - have just seen it mentioned as an option before…

1 Like