Purchasing Help

Would this kit, with a couple extra 84oz motors work with the mpcnc?

My other thought is all this, but the motors are smaller, and I the board comes with the wrong drivers, so I need to get others

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01COUBMK0
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078CXN21V

First link only has 3 steppers, last link has tiny steppers, that I would not recommend. The other links are ramps and are fine.

1 Like

With the first link, I was planning to buy two more steppers (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06ZYQNBFR)

Since they’re connected in series…the board in the first link’s kit should work right? Or am I better buying it all individually, and five of these motors?

That will all work but you will need to make your own firmware. I have my suggested boards in the parts list/firmware page. Other than that any board and steppers will work but I feel the ones I have chosen are the best choice for various reasons.

1 Like

Thanks, I guess I’ll just pay the bit extra to order it all individually, and get the better motors.

First link will be an issue, Uno instead of Mega for the Arduino. The shield isn’t a RAMPS compatible, so likely you’ll have to tweak the pins… Otherwise looks OK. I’d try to find a package with those drivers and steppers and the Mega2560/RAMPS combo.

So, here’s what I’m thinking of buying…

Am I missing anything (aside from a tool)? I'll get the misc nuts and bolts locally, as well as the lead screw. I'm already printing the parts, and have the emt conduit.

Still missing the Arduino Mega 2560. You also want 16 tooth instead of 20.

1 Like

Unless shipping where you are is crazy expensive it doesn’t look like you are saving much (if any) from buying the same known working components from Ryan’s store, you might consider that as it helps support the product.

1 Like

I may end up doing that…the advantage to Amazon for me was that I cash in my visa points for amazon gift cards…so could basically by the parts for free

Spooky, it is like Chad has been looking over my shoulder while I have been shopping on Amazon for parts. I’m in Canada and have a Amazon Prime account for work so shipping on most things is free and there are none of the surprise extra costs when buying from the USA.

I’ve also been looking for RAMPS options mainly due to cost, but also because I already have an arduino, but I’ve been overwhelmed by the variations or suppliers.

I had picked slightly different RAMPS board SainSmart 3D Printer controller 3D Printer Control Board Ramps 1.4

But then noticed that there are RAMPS 1.5 boards available - are they compatible with the firmware Ryan provides or does it need to be a 1.4? They seem better.

Then I noticed that there are printer control boards that say they combine an arduino mega and ramps and look kind of like a rambo, but cheaper like this: SODIAL MKS Gen L V1.0 controller PCB board integrated mainboard

Is this to good to be true?

Spooky indeed, feels like YOU were over my shoulder lol. I bought Amazon.ca which I now know they are not good enough, so I’ll buy 3 of Amazon.ca soon.

I have Prime also and avoid buying from the states. Until the new tax exemptions come into effect (apparently not until later 2019?!?). Otherwise I would buy from Ryan’s shop in a heartbeat.

If you search amazon.ca you can find better deals if you buy the same sized nema 17 motors in 3 or 5 packs. The 84oz.in motors cost ~$19 each (5=$95) or 3 for $44 (6=$88) or 5 for $80

You can get 5 slightly smaller 64oz.in motors for $75 5 x 64oz.in NEMA 17 stepper motors

All above prices are approximate $CAD and I have no idea what the quality is like.

1 Like

I ended up just buying from the store here… good decision. Everything so far has worked without any issues.