Primo upgrade - Tromsø, Norway

I was just watching an episode of Jeremy Wade’s “River Monsters”… on the Greenland shark. He goes to Greenland first, above the Arctic Circle… and then makes his way due east, to Tromso(?), Norway. I can’t begin to describe how beautiful an area of the world you live in… harsh and deadly, no doubt, but immensely beautiful all the same. Just, wow! Hardy, you must be… I’m glad you’re here, rubbing shoulders with us, wussies. I hope your renovation is, and has been, going well. And, the pictures you’ve shared are always welcome… and just spectacular! Thank you! – David

3 Likes

I’m blushing! Thank you for your kind words. Don’t believe what they say on television, they’re always exaggerating… honestly, living here is quite comfortable. We have well insulated houses and know how to dress for the cold. Life’s quite ordinary here, like anywhere else. But we do appreciate the beauty in our surroundings and the changing seasons. It’s always nice with a reminder from eyes coming from elsewhere. Personally, I’m grateful to be here with all of you who are so knowledgeable and have so many creative and technical skills. Thank you for welcoming me here! Torbjørn

3 Likes

I think the hardest part about living in a place like that would be finding somewhere to vacation.

2 Likes

Had a bag of snacks arrive from China today!! Now I can start on the wiring and electronics enclosure. Good times :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Those look tasty!!! I’m waiting for 2 to come in. The ones I had laying around were from my mechanical keyboard builds. Been temped to just cut those off and use them…lol.

1 Like

Hmm - a new little question has come up… I want to make a plug/socket solution for the LCD as well. With all the pins, what connector can I use? Are all the 10 pins on each LCD ribbon in use??

Edit: I could use JSTs but I want something a little sturdier.

Edit 2: sorry for asking befor thoroughly googling… here is a 10pin gx16: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32813045824.html But I still wonder if there is a good 20 pin connector that can be embedded in a front panel. I guess an ATX 20 pin power cable could be used with printing some kind of housing tg embed the socket.

32 pin parallel printer cable? Maybe a 50 pn SCSI cable? I hear those are the bomb. :smile:

1 Like

This one maybe?

20 pin connector

1 Like

Be careful with the screen cables. There isn’t any error checking and noise can cause job failures. If you want a longer cable, you should tuck in a pi and use a different device to control it over octoprint or cncjs.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff, you are right as always. My plan is to run it from a v1pi, but have the lcd in backup, in case something something. But I guess I will skip the lcd all together, and rather have some sort of door/latch where I can reach the rambo if its absolutely necessary

I run mine without a screen. I have one. I just don’t have it attached.

1 Like

I’ve been running rj45 connectors for years, no issues.

1 Like

I’ve been running amok for decades, some issues…

Amok

1 Like

Do you have three rj45 plugs for the LCD then? Or are there pins on the LCD that are not in use?

No, I rarely use the lcd. Stuck with the short ribbon cable. 45’s for all the steppers though.

1 Like

Quite a nice way to start the weekend after some very busy weeks

13 Likes

If my kids are old enough to be left alone with my wife for a weekend I am coming over to visit. Two days drive, tops! :smiley:

1 Like

Please bring a hammer and a saw!!

3 Likes

Man, I miss seeing them.

1 Like

:hammer: :gear:

2 Likes