PLA Core Alternative - Steel cutting stress causes cracking

Hello,
In my other forum post, I’ve been cutting steel.
Quite successfully too, but the stress starts cracking the Core and the Core Clamps.
I’ve printed the Core twice before with 100% infill with PLA, but I’m wondering if there’s more rigid alternatives available. I would be interested in purchasing a Core made out of stronger material, but I don’t know if there would be that available.
If anyone has any suggestions on stress reduction, or has offer to sell a Core alternatives, please feel free to send them ! I might need a new Core anyways, as it did crack :frowning:
Thank you

1 Like

If you can cut steel, you might consider cutting aluminum parts to replace the 3d printed parts that keep breaking.

3DXTech PETG+CF. Any printer can print it. Great layer bonding. More rigid than PLA. Not bonkers expensive. Looks bad ass. Rulez.

1 Like

The core would be hard to mill in aluminum.

Print a mold for lost-cast molding?

It’d be challenging to mount the core on a fixture to bore/drill the appropriate holes afterwards.

1 Like

I’m surprised that you get core cracking before you get missed steps.

If a machine crash occurs (usually on accident) the steppers skip first and the machine shouldn’t break. Crashes are common, yet cracked cores don’t happen as far as I am aware.

I dont know about your machine but maybe something got over-tightened while trying to push the limits?

1 Like

That and it requires a bit of compliance to account for goofy tubes.

Be easier to just 3d print in aluminum.

1 Like

Maybe slice it into a ton of 1/8" sheets of aluminum and bolt them together (I am kidding).

That is a good point.

Try a .6mm or .8mm nozzle, seems to help high stress areas a lot from developing cracks for me (perpendicular to the layer lines). If your layers are separating can try more hot end heat, larger nozzle, or a different material like the petg-cf mentioned above.

What PLA brand and color are you using? Apparently color can impact strength/adhesion, Which is the STRONGEST filament COLOR? - YouTube

Personally found layer adhesion for matte colors not as good, especially if am not printing at higher temp of their range.

Considered a Lowrider if planning to do lots of steel cuts going forward?

Consider sharing great quality pic of your cracked core/parts, might help spark some ideas.

Are the cracks occurring in same place/area. Maybe a Mod that beefs up weak spot(s) would help. Got pics?