Origin is not correct between fusion and the mpcnc

I know the title is a little cryptic,
My MPCNC is set up so that the head moves from the Left Rear of the machine.
So, X moves Positive to the Right and Y moves Positive toward you.

When I try to set that in Fusion, it refuses to cooperate.
When the X axis is moving Positive to the right the Y axis is Positive Away from me. This means that when I post the G code, The Y axis moves in the negative which my machine isn’t setup for (I guess I could change it to negative but it doesn’t make sense to me why)

Of course, I can tear the machine apart and set the Y Axis to move away from me but I can’t help thinking that there’s something I could do in Fusion that would fix this.
Has anyone else had this problem
Could maybe a Fusion expert tell me why fusion does not let me set the origin that way?

NOTE: I make simple parts and almost always origin the drawing from the Top When I start

Thanks
-Tim

You got your start in computer graphics, right? :smiley:

Bottom-left is standard origin with Up being X+ and Right being Y+ (and away from the work surface being Z+). Standard Right-Hand coordinates. Sounds like you’re trying to shoe-horn in Left-Hand coordinates. I agree, Fusion should have a way to handle it, but I wouldn’t expect it to be easy, and certainly not well supported. And you don’t need to tear anything apart (maybe endstops, if you’re running auto-squaring), just flip the Y-Axis motor cables around. And by flip them around, I mean, [1234] → [4321].

1 Like

I think you will also find as you have it at the moment your work will end up being mirrored, you may think that that doesn’t matter if all you are using it for is simple shapes but one day it will bite you! Setting the physical 0.0 position at the bottom left and working in positive,positive workspace by reversing the Y motor will also correct that possible problem.

1 Like

Fusion forces the left hand rule. Put your left fist in front of you and point your index finger straight ahead. Point your middle finger to the right. Point your thumb up. Those are y, x, z, respectively. However you can move your fist, you can orient the origin.
I don’t know exactly why, but I guess it has something to do with convention.

1 Like

I laughed out loud when I read your text. I work in the sftwr industry and I have definitely done enough graphics work to understand that statement :slight_smile:

I can swap the drive direction in Marlin I think.

Thanks

Hey Mike, I’m going to reverse the motors and go from there.
Could you explain a little more what you mean by ‘Mirroring’? I don’t quite understand what that is or how it happens.

Thanks

To each his own to me I see a time line and yours is upside down :grinning: it’s just perspective but not sure how to fix myself but a fun problem

dnaL nwod edispU esrever epacse nac I yllufepoH ,miT sknahT

-miT

1 Like

This may answer some questions:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/coordinates/

I think K got it wrong though, X goes to the right, and Y goes away from you.

You can reverse the direction of a motor by (with the power completely off) reversing the plug 180 degrees That will make it go the opposite way. So if +Y is coming at you, and you want it to go away from you, you just reverse the plug. Just don’t pull a plug while the machine is running, it supposedly can hurt the drivers.

Do I have it wrong? Did I get the fingers backwards? I usually only have to worry about that middle finger…

If your Y axis goes the wrong way you will make a mirror image of what you want…this is not a problem for a simple regular shape but if you have a bit sticking out of your shape at 90 degrees it will be sticking out from the wrong side…look up ‘right hand rule’ in google and then hold both your hands as per the diagrams you will see the difference with a mirrored image.

1 Like

You can also get better much to back go :grinning::grinning:

You need to flip your plugs around :grin::grin:

I see what you mean now. Yeah, it really is best to physically set the machine up right. That way you know that WYSIWYG. Gonna think through all this and decide a course… thanks for explaining that :slight_smile:

1 Like

By the way, you can still set the zero point on your part to the top left of your material. Set it in the fusion file and put the bit there and it will cut correctly. You’ll just notice all of your y moves are negative instead of positive.

I ended up just reversing the Homing direction and leaving the rest alone. It now homes at the bottom left on the long side of a 24X32 Machine. thanks for all the comments and the help