OnShape & Kiri:Moto - Marlin unsupported: GCODE conversion or firmware flash?

My pleasure. I’ll be making a lot of use of this, too. Because I’m a new user, maybe, it won’t let me include a link to the YouTube video I posted about it.

I also linked it in a new topic on the Glowforge community forum.

1 Like

Hej all! After reading thread, I’m a bit confused: is Kiri now able to output code that I can use to run my marlin/mpcnc mill directly, or would I have to tweak the code in a text editor to make it have? Thanks!

1 Like

Yes. You can use it directly. I had no problems. It does take a little bit to set up the tool and all the operations. My post above shows the operations on the right.
Here is my device setup:

Edit: I noted my setup had a vbit chosen for finishing, which was left over from checking out a new tool definition. Should remain the 3mm so no tool change. I also unchecked tabs since I use hot glue and masking tape. I reposted the updated settings.

Put in the header and footer any start or stop codes you need.

It will always put a tool change at the beginning, an M6. Just click resume and it will go.

Here is my tool definition for the 3mm endmill

Let me know what else is unclear.

1 Like

Thanks @scrounge79! Yeah, that was pretty straight forward. Thanks!

1 Like

Here is the result of using Kiri:Moto. I can chase down a little more tram for the surface finish, but it is pretty good as is. One thing is dealing with the tear out in pine for an upcut bit. I was a bit aggressive in trimming the tear that happens on the edge with a utility knife and chisel. I need to consider some type of different finishing pass to see if I can manage it better. In oak, walnut, and cherry it is negligible, but pine is different.

3 Likes

Did you try changing the cutting direction? If you “leave stock” in the roughing pass, then a waterline finishing pass should make this look better and reduce the tear-out. In theory, that is.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I’ll try it tonight for the other part of the box.

Thanks @stewart for the tip. I finally got around to getting this tried out. I had been working on getting set up to 3D print face shield frames. Now I need to source some .5mm PETG sheeting.

So here it is 1/2 way through the contour finishing pass. Really helped clean up the tearout and smooth things over.

Here it is still affixed to the bed. Turned out good. The only thing is that the top and the bottom lip as oriented here got shaved off more that the design allowed. The inner raised border should be the same dimension all the way around. I did a linear Y for the finishing pass to cut across the grain. For some reason the inner pocket got a bit bigger in the Y dimensions.

You can see in this picture that the X sides, here the left and the right sides in a picture with the box rotated so the Y axis would be left to right, are thinner than the foreground and background side lip.

No problem because the outer rebate is spot on and the box slips together perfectly. Really great to have Kiri:Moto. Lots faster than EstlCAM selecting all the tool paths.

3 Likes

@scrounge79 thanks for the update! I don’t know of any bugs causing dimensional offsets. If anyone can find evidence of this in the generated gcode, that would be very helpful.

1 Like

I’ll check it out and see what the deal is here and compare the STL with the finished object and look at the toolpaths a little. I’m sure it is user error.

1 Like

I believe, based on this report, that I have found a bug that could have caused this. If so, my apologies. It will be fixed later today and pushed to production.

2 Likes

Thanks. The two sides contoured by the Y finishing were definitely thinned out on the pocket side. Ok on the perimeter side.

fixed pushed to production as v1.7.9 — please let me know if you find anything else unexpected. and thanks for the report!

1 Like

Sorry but need to find my github password to participate. Will work on that for bug reporting.

Meanwhile:

Not sure what the “shelling” is doing here. Both in Slice and Preview.

@scrounge79 is the result wrong or just that it’s reporting a shelling step?

I can’t get a preview or export. Just shows this screen. No tool paths and I don’t see any error messages. Layers slider doesn’t move.

ok, well that’s no good at all. have you tried reloading the page by holding SHIFT key and clicking the browser reload icon? that will force all assets to load fresh and not from cache (theoretically). also, do you know how to bring up the javascript console? it may reveal an error that you’re not seeing.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I did open developer console and looked at things and saw this:

work.js:1035 Uncaught RangeError: Array buffer allocation failed
at new ArrayBuffer ()
at new Float32Array ()
at work.js:1035
at Object.slice (work.js:1035)
at p.m.slice (work.js:1035)
at slice (worker.js:1)
at self.onmessage (worker.js:1)

Which made me think that I might have entered a dimension that isn’t accepted. And I had entered in tolerance .001mm. That was it. I changed the tolerance back to .1 and it went ahead and sliced.

Worked fine. Now I’ll go back and test the job again and see how that y contour pass works out.

Here is a zip of the gcode it produced. marmak box lid.zip (10.5 KB)

2 Likes

That makes more sense. A higher tolerance requires more memory. But I’ve never seen it fail like that. Thanks for the report. I’ll add code to detect it.

3 Likes