On the way to some precision

In Kerbal Space Program a vehicle on the runway will roll forward very slightly because the runway is mathematically flat but the curvature of the world means that gravity is not perfectly normal to the runway over its entire length.

6 Likes

New New machine?

1 Like

I hope!

Slowly but surely narrowing it down. I am still testing individual pieces to see what is worth spending more time, money, or both on. Nothing is set in stone yet.

5 Likes

Tidal forces. Generally underestimated… :slight_smile:

First run. Very first run. Pencil, well, mounted, held in place, not really fixed.
The first line was the first run, just the LinuxCNC legacy test pattern
The second line the same, but plotted five times in a row.
The visible drag where each letter starts and stops has to be attributed to the unprofessional mounting of the pencil. Scale: The original text is 135.4 mm wide. The pdf should reflect that.
More later. 1.15 a.m. here, time to log off.

mpcnc_linuxcnc_1st_testt.zip (555.6 KB)

2 Likes

Only the fully upgraded runway. The dirt track you start with (assuming you’re playing a campaign of some sort) is most definitely not mathematically flat. One of the reasons I wait a long time before trying (and usually still failing at) winged flight…

It is. I read it in the mid-80’s and it’s a great story about the inner workings of product development. It made even a high school student want to go out and make something. For reference, I recall reading The Right Stuff around the same time, which is a similar story about people doing some incredible things…

2 Likes

New events, new data.mpcnc-offset20200117.zip (109.9 KB)

Yesterday I dared to let the new machine mill its own pattern for the 56 screw-in nuts (no pun) into it’s base board.

Today I measured the depth of the larger top pockets of each hole to get some information about the achievable precision, accuracy, reproduceability.

N.B., this was a cruder measurement than the first ones described above, but it shows at least how well this machine is engineered and maybe built.

The milling pattern was created using QCAD ( just for the circles), Estlcam 11.24 for the milling pattern, and LinuxCNC to control the machine. The spacing is 100mm in X and Y, except the last column, which is 75 mm in X, but represented as 100 mm here. Artist’s freedom.

Since I extended the range a bit, there is one column of points more than in the previous measurements.

The units are hundredths of a millimeter again, I subtracted the entire part of the depth values, leaving only the decimal fraction.

Attached is a zip file containing the excel files. Here is a png image of the pdf I made.

Also attached said .zip file.

Regards, have a nice weekend!

Cheers,

Ulli

2 Likes

In case anyone isn’t watching Rick and Morty…

3 Likes