Next Zenxy build ideas

Okay. This thing has been kicking my butt.

The window film is not ideal either.

So the next attempt was frog tape, and black latex paint. So far super clean edge, like great edge. So I think I am going to try a few thin coats of paint and then some vinyl to protect it and add some extra light blocking since the LED’s are so close.

1 Like

Frog tape the first layer, then peel it while the paint is still wet. Let it dry, then new frog tape overlapping the old cut line by a scoche. Then add your second layer and peel the tape while the paint is wet. If you let it dry, there’s a good chance it will peel the paint off the glass. Or you can just brush the second layer on by hand and stay off the edge. You can really build up the paint and just stay off the nice edge by like a 16th or so and it will still look really good.

2 Likes

Dang it I missed this message. I thought about pulling the tape, but didn’t!

Shoot. Fingers crossed it peels clean. I will run a razor blade down it just in case. I am so anxious to finish this I need this too work!

2 Likes

Anyone know if there is any extra here, or other things needed for the Zen build? I copy and pasted this from somewhere else but honestly am not sure what each line is for.
For homing Y before X, is that part of the custom homing (if so where do I set it) or do I just do that in the start g code (G28 Y, G28 X…Or does it have to be $H?).

…and I just need some more baking soda to finally try out a build that started the week after last mrrf.

3 Likes

Hmmmm, well my grbl32 settings are not right somehow. Both steppers move but it is always at an angle. I am missing some sort of setting (or somehow I have two different pulleys)

I don’t know grbl32, but in “standard” grbl there are a couple of directives to uncomment to enable CoreXY kinematics. Anything like that match in the grbl32 config files?

Not sure. I think it is different, the Corexy is no longer in the main code with esp32. When I add it to the config I get motors moving for a straight line but I get an angle instead of along the axis. I poked around a while, I will dig deeper after the mail pickup.

Oof, it is pretty old:

I didn’t change anything for mine. I should probably try to configure the new one before recommending it to someone else. :slight_smile:

This is where those came from:

Edit: I can only reply three times in a row :slight_smile: :

OK. I have this sort of working. The homing is a little funny, but I think that may be a pins problem.

Here’s what I did (from main, which is commit: f3ca8b2):

--- a/Grbl_Esp32/src/Machines/tmc2130_pen.h
+++ b/Grbl_Esp32/src/Machines/tmc2130_pen.h
@@ -27,8 +27,10 @@

// Select a version to match your PCB
-//#define MACHINE_V1 // version 1 PCB
-#define MACHINE_V2 // version 2 PCB
+#define MACHINE_V1 // version 1 PCB
+//#define MACHINE_V2 // version 2 PCB
+
+#define CUSTOM_CODE_FILENAME "../Custom/CoreXY.cpp"

And

diff --git a/platformio.ini b/platformio.ini
index ddf3a85..863126a 100644
--- a/platformio.ini
+++ b/platformio.ini
@@ -34,7 +34,7 @@ lib_deps_builtin =

[common]
 build_flags =
-    ;-DMACHINE_FILENAME=test_drive.h ;Remove ";" from the beginning of this line and specify the machine file
+    -DMACHINE_FILENAME=tmc2130_pen.h ;Remove ";" from the beginning of this line and specify the machine file
        -DCORE_DEBUG_LEVEL=0

I used the platformio command line and did a platformio run to compile it. That looked good. So I shipped it with platformio run -t upload with the esp32 connected to the computer.

I had to connect to it’s wifi and set my AP settings, then I set up homing with these commands:

$Homing/Cycle0=Y
$Homing/Cycle1=X
$Homing/Cycle2=
$Homing/Enable=On

I can check the limit switches, if they are triggered they show up in the status line:

<Idle|MPos:1.000,1.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:X>

Pn:X means the X is triggered. You can invert them with $Limits/Invert=On.

There are actually a lot of neat things you can set that regular grbl can’t (I dont think so anyway). Try sending any one of these to see a ton of useful settings:

$Homing
$Limits
$Stepper
$Settings/List

Isn’t this supposed to be specified in machine.h?

I did this

It is the oddest thing. Swapping the plugs around I get 45 degrees or half that. Maybe the V2 is set up for corexy by default and I am halving all the angles or something.

maybe I should jump into the slack

He moved to discord.

It really sounds like it isn’t corexy.

To be clear, I ran those changes on my zen and it moved the right way. I didn’t add any of those other #defines, but I don’t think they actually do anything.

I do have the v1 board, and I am using pio to compile it.

Turns out the default profile is no where close to working even though it says V2 in it. I cut and pasted the defaults from the V2 repo and all is good.

I will work up some sort of PR as soon as I verify it works.

EVEN CLOSER now to the giant ZEN!!!

1 Like

Oh weird. I’m glad you have it figured out. Those can be tricky. My X endstop isn’t registering, so I need to go poke at it with a mutlimeter and I am guessing it is a problem with the pins file too. I also haven’t opened the optical sensors you sent me, or printed a new corner… I will get to it.

Do you have any plans for selling the ESP32s already flashed? I am sure they would cost more than getting them from China, but it might be a good value add and help people pick up speed on a new build.

If I am not mistaken the default shows both endstops on the same pin, that can’t be right? I have not tried yet, wouldn’t you know, the first time I ever switch to optical powered endstops I hit a board that does not have a 3 pin endstop port…dangit. I wonder if he would be open to a hardware revision.

I asked about selling the actual boards, for now I think he wants to sell them direct, he said he would flash any setup we want. The bummer for that is international customers would get double shipping charges. I was thinking about the ESP’s themselves, I have a pile of them here. Not really sure what to do yet.

I am not seeing a way to set the current in GRBL esp32 for the 2209’s? I am guessing coolstep is taking care of it.

I thought that board only supported 2130s. I didn’t realize you could set it up with 2209s.

Now that you mention it, I’m not sure how I set the current on my 2130s either though.