New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

To all you who recently finished the Burly, and now are bummed to see a new version on it’s way. If it’s working, and you’re tired of printing and tinkering - just use it and be happy! If you are (like me) eager to print and play and learn new things - look at the Burly as a good dress rehearsal for a proper upgrade! One of my main regrets with the Burly is that I didn’t make the work area just a liiiitle bigger (its 470x337mm, I’d like something like 500x400mm - even more if the rigidity is good). With the new version, I’ll get things right in terms of table, size, and not cracking too many parts screwing them together! (and now I even know how the end stops work, suprising myself!)

2 Likes

Ohhh man is my email blowing up right now…I need to add some details to the post, but honestly most have not read it as they are asking things that are answered in it.

Another point that should be made. It is not proven better yet. Everything always works for me since I designed it my way. Until we get some outside verification this is still just a test, alpha, beta, whatever. I am confident I have made good choices and everything should be a little easier and a little better, but that has not been confirmed by anyone. I normally would have had many others build and confirm first but I had to choose to order parts, so the statement is more about why the MPCNC is going to be out of stock.

8 Likes

Do you have an assembled design in CAD of the carriage you can take a screenshot of at least? I want to see how much work it’ll be to modify my quick release clamp. If it’s not too bad I might make ones for other routers too.

I actually do not for this version, I did some unorthodox tweaks that make an assembly in cad more difficult. Are you referring to the Rollers or Center assembly? I will put up a blank tool mount with some guide sketches soon so you can work from there.

8 Likes

I am hunting for name suggestions. I have a list of my picks but I would like to hear some options for you all first.

Can’t release anything without a name!

1 Like

SUBBED! This is a complete sentence.

1 Like

I googled “cool machine names” and this was fifth on the list:

2 Likes

I tend to prefer boring but meaningful names rather than “cool” or cutsey names. So if it were me, I’d go with something like just adding the year of design release, or a version number to the existing MPCNC name. So “MPCNC 2020” or “MPCNC 3.0” (assuming the “burly” would be “MPCNC 2018” or “MPCNC 2.0”).

I’m not an Apple fan to begin with, but their names for the different versions of OSX annoy me to no end. Not only are they meaningless, they’re not even in alphabetical order. At least Ubuntu’s silly naming convention is in alphabetical order. But I digress.

3 Likes

I do agree with that as well. My perspective…year is no good in case it takes too long to get to the next one, Version…tough because of the reasons earlier, Alphabetical or genre like android is my preferred really, but now the other side of that coin is Unique. something that does not currently google and bring of related results.

So 777, RZ, F5 and “cnc” all bring up other brands or models. CNC zero bring up zeroing a cnc, I am trying to come up with something that is memorable and works with just CNC in case they for get MPCNC. So try and google “burly cnc”, you would almost think it would bring up strong or large cnc machines, nope, All V1!!! I like that, easy and mistake proof.

Vicious Circle cnc got misspelled so many times I changed the name. so add easy to that.

Now the last bit…other languages.

1 Like

So a memorable “C” name (to come after "B"urly)… The MPCNC Cutinator.

(Sorry, we’ve been watching a lot of Phineas & Ferb during quarantine!)

7 Likes

Clearly, it’s a PUMP CNC (Probably-Upgraded Mostly-Printed CNC) :smile:

5 Likes

I will build one too. I am very happy with the LR2, but I imaging that I could build a more “sound proof” enclosure for an MPNC. When will it be ready? When? When? When? lol

1 Like

Simple is good. Mpcnc3. You did the same for the Low Rider, right?

1 Like

Yeah but so plain…I would put it to at least MPCNC5.

A “C” name is a good idea.

1 Like

Honestly - it took me a long while before I understood that “burly” was a version name. I thought the term was aiming at the gantry, having a "burly quality ". Maybe it would be helpful for newcomers to have a version history somewhere?

Let’s look through Latin words starting with C!
https://latin-dictionary.net/list/letter/c

CNATUS meaning child :nerd_face:

This list with strange words starting with C is quite a fun reading: http://phrontistery.info/c.html
calesa: small two-wheeled horse-drawn buggy
cannular: hollow or tube-shaped
catena: series, chain or sequence
canzone: instrumental work that is melodious or song-like
capstan: upright device for winding in heavy ropes or cables
curule: of high authority

4 Likes

What about Creator MPNC…

5 Likes

If we go with a C name as version it’ll just get shortened to CMPCNC. :smiley:

1 Like

New stiffer is the exact reason I was about to upgrade to a aluminum extrusion based machine. Any thoughts on doing an extrusion rail based machine with a rigid aluminum extrusion z axis? And preferably with larger stepper motors.

No, lots of reasons not to. Steel is stiffer than aluminum and cheaper and require a lot less hardware that is also cheaper, larger steppers are heaver more expensive and require larger drivers and specialized boards. I am in no way impressed with extruded aluminum unfortunately.

1 Like