New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

That happens to me a lot. I go to fix one thing and some other issue pops up. Nice to see progress though. I’m most curious what the new XY carriage looks like though. :slight_smile:

The rollers? I have a peak at those above…The center, not yet…It is actually not done yet. I have to add that fancy cut in stuff.

Yeah, the middle part. The motor mounts look great though.

Time to start naming things, well other than the machine itself.
Good naming convention suggestions? MPCNC Corner Top, Corner Top, Top?

We good with corner top, bottom, lock and feet? lock…Clamp?

Rollers? That always seemed a little wrong to me.

1 Like

Corner Top
Corner Bottom
Corner Bottom Bottom
Really Bottom

1 Like

Trolley
Dolly
Trucks

Bottom
Connector
Base

The only question is - when will the general public be able to start printing. I am delaying to build a sound proof box :wink:

1 Like

This slow reveal is like the very beginning of a Thunderbirds episode, where the camera spins out from an extreme close up.

2 Likes

Name the parts whatever, then put the name on the parts. J - Darryl Top, J - Darryl Bottom, J - Darryl Slide…

1 Like

How about
MPCNC Corner 10
MPCNC Corner 20
MPCNC Corner 30
MPCNC Corner 40
MPCNC goto 10

3 Likes

1 Like

Corners and feet are good (unless you really liked the “plinth” idea).

Rollers: I kind like carriages for the current rollers, but could get annoying when typing out debugging questions and answers. Trucks also works (I know enough sk8r to be hip to the lingo, dude, even built my own wooden long board in my youth).

Z-Axis/Tool mount: Not sure how to improve that. It’s a relatively simple assembly that is usually pretty static once completed. “Danger Slider”?

That center assembly, though… It needs a name. “The Block”, “The Core”, “El Corazón”

“So, once you have your feet, legs and corner bottoms assembled, slide your X (or Y) axis rails into one set of trucks and set them in the corners. Add the spacers and then slide the Y (or X) axis rails into the other set of trucks and set them on the spacers. Attach the corner tops loosely, square the rails, and secure the feet and snug up the corners. Slide the X and Y gantry rails through the Core, and take some time to get them square. Set the whole gantry rig on the trucks, and loosely attach the gantry mounts to the trucks. Double-check for squareness. Snug up the gantry mounts. Take the Danger Slider, and ease it into the Core, taking care to engage the leadscrew carefully. Now, just tram your tool, and ruin a perfectly good piece of blank stock!”

Edit: The above quote to be read in the voice of any given engineering grad-student TA, with (in)appropriate hand-waving of glossed-over procedures.

2 Likes

The Lift?

1 Like

Love “Trucks”, but it does not work in the singular.

Calling the center, CORE, is nice…would be a real nice name for this version as well…

CORE
PRIMO
DUDE
darryl

We need a new poll

1 Like

See Darryl doesn’t work. Top_J_Darryl…Sounds like This dude, Mr. Darryl, made the parts.

This is a super minor thing, but it would be nice if the partnames (whatever they end up being) all came out in a sensible order when sorted ASCII-betically.

Take a part from the Burly as an anti-pattern: Spacer_Corner_F_Burly.STL. It is almost entirely backwards with the most important attribute (Burly, then rev F) being at the back of the filename. If you flipped it around and it was instead Burly_F_Corner_Spacer.STL it would end up adjacent to other corner pieces, all other Rev F parts, and all Burly parts.

Just my $.02

Still waiting for the big reveal…

5 Likes

The LCD does not have that many characters so you need to start with the part name to be able to read it.

You have more than one gcode file on an sdcard at a time? What kind of monster are you?

3 Likes

But… They have engines now… Right there on the part! It’s no longer the “roller” and the “motor mount”, it’s the “truck” and the “rail mount”. Integrated into the truck is the motor mount. It can run up and down the axis rail on it’s own!

1 Like