New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

The anticipation is killing me haha! Been lurking here a while, came to order the kit but saw it was out of stock so I sourced the parts myself. Spent the last week tuning the 3d printer, now she’s itchin’ to spew some plastic real bad on the new design!

2 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to get started myself and going back and forth on sourcing individual parts and build out the Burly version (wondering if I can get away with 1.5in bolts for the Burly version so I don’t have to rebuy when/if I upgrade later) or waiting for the upgraded kit. Also, curious of the EMT version will come out at the same time as the 25/25.4 version. Not sure my budget stretches to SS or if I can find 1in OD DOM locally. That would affect whether I decide to build out now with Burly or wait for the new one.

Welcome to all the new faces! It’s great to see all this interest! Whoot!

Lots of questioning if it’s better to go ahead and self-source the Burly and get going, or wait for the Primo.

Here’s my wholly unqualified opinion: Wait for the Primo. Self-sourcing is a pain in the butt. Unless you’re already experienced with logistics/quartermastery, it’s way more of a headache than you can imagine. You’ll invariably forget something, or think you can subsitute a 1.75" for a 1.5" bolt, or some other janky tomfoolery, and you’ll end up back in the store, wearing your Covid mask, for one. stupid. bolt. And don’t get me started on trying to find decent bearings/electronics/etc. without spending an arm and a leg, or getting something that stretches the definitions of “merchantability” or “fitness for purpose”.

That being said, if you’ve already begun the process of printing/sourcing on your own, don’t stop. You have momentum. Keep it up! The Primo may end up being better than the Burly, but it will be iteratively better. You should be able to reuse most of what you have in your Burly with a Primo, should you decide you want to rebuild it.

3 Likes

This seems like good advice. For those of us who are impatient (a bad quality these days, I know…), any idea when Primo hardware kits might be available? Weeks? Months? Quarters?

Closer to weeks, but no promises. Beta tests are still going on. But things are sounding promising.

3 Likes

That’s kinda what I was thinking, but if it’s going to be a couple more weeks till it’s ready and then a couple weeks/month(s) longer for the EMT version to be ready, if he even does it (Speaking on 1 in OD DOM tubing: Less than half the price…should I even make a 23.5mm version of the new version?). I also think I saw where he is doing the 25.4mm version first, but I could be wrong about that. I’m tempted to just go ahead and build a known platform and get started. Again, that is unless I can find cheap 1in DOM tubing locally.

If you have cheap DOM locally maybe, just maybe wait. But it is not proven yet. When I do release it , it might be hard to get the parts for a few batches.

The emt 23.5 is probably a month behind the 25.4. Second up will be a 25mm, since I do not have this we have to wait for some people to build and verify this, then 23.5mm.

1 Like

:cry:

How bad would a spacer be?

22 mm cylindrical inside to fit bearing and outside is a torus so it at least spreads the load. (No way plastic could support a point load.) Would there be enough clearance to try this? Maximum diameter at the edges is about 25 mm.

Not this time. That 1/2kg part I reprinted a bunch of times to figure out a 0.15mm dimension. Doing funny stuff like this wouldn’t work. and this new one is super easy to over tighten. If I can squish SS, Plastic stands no chance, especially along the layer lines.

2 Likes

Oof… That doesn’t bode well for me. Recently discovered things were a bit stiff because my 1.000" advertised SS is actually 25.8mm OD. Egging some bearing holes by 0.2mm actually made things move smoother.

If you need people to print and build a 25mm version, I’m game. Have most of the “non-plastic” parts already since I was gonna start building the Burly. But I only have a single Ender 3, so the printing time might be to long for me to be of any use.

1 Like

I am ready:

4 Likes

I ordered 4 spools of grey filament, they arrived and I was elated until I noticed I had ordered 2.85mm instead of 1.75. Now I’m searching for a solution to make use it.

1 Like

Nice, I went light grey and red instead :slight_smile:

Most 3d printers can easily be adapted to use either. I haven’t done the modification myself, but iirc its just a new heat break, nozzle, and heatsink (since those are sized for your filament size), though that is assuming your extruder can be adjusted that wide (you might need a new extruder).

Might be less hassle to sell it. Although, it does look like that stuff is marginally cheaper a lot of the time. Not so much selection, though. Now you got me thinking. I’m gonna build another printer and use my ender 3 for all functional/quick prints in pla. Maybe he should just get a dual z and a direct drive with 3mm filament, and I can just run whatever color I can find…

Funny, I was thinking that I’d eventually build an extruder for the MPCNC with a 1.0mm nozzle, and a 2.85 Volcano to feed it. Use the big machine for the big, coarse prints.

Need to build an MPCNC first, of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got rid of my 2.85 mm printers because filament selection, variety, and availability is terrible. This is because there are only a small handful of printers that still use 2.85 mm, so manufacturers and vendors don’t tend to worry about supporting them. Right now it’s easier to get (and cheaper) because so much 1.75 mm is sold out; but thats not generally the case.

1 Like

Check out Dui’s build:

He has made some amazing (and huge) prints with his. It is not for everybody, but with the right amount of patience and knowledge, it can clearly make some great results. I often encourage people to avoid it if they don’t have a 3D printer, or they are hoping for creatily-like projects, but for making huge prints with a big fat nozzle, it is more than possible.

2 Likes

After perusing the Dui’s thread I told my wife I’m going to make a large scale 3d printer… she gave me this look :unamused: and said, “So your fail pile can get bigger?”

I took that as an approval to proceed. I’ve got the filament now, why not build the machine!

16 Likes