New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

@vicious1, I was wondering if there was a place for a design between the lowrider and the mpcnc? I.e. make the y axis have emt rails (either single or double) and then strided by lowrider type gantry? I don’t really have a great feel for that, but it seems it may be more accurate than the lowrider and be simpler to assemble than the mpcnc? (I haven’t built or used a lowrider, only the mpcnc).

Lowrider is plenty accurate.

1 Like

Regarding the name of the new version, I think whatever you name it should be part of a naming scheme with future names as part of that scheme already planned out. And it should be such a scheme that someone just discovering the MPCNC could easily be able to determine where a certain version falls in the timeline of releases.

And, yes, a google search for “burly cnc” points pretty much exclusively to MPCNC, but is that a most often used search term? It actually be and may be something to build on - I obviously don’t have that data - but when I tell people about the machine, I never use the word “burly.” It’s always just “MPCNC” that I tell them to look in to. MPCNC is the brand/product identity. “Burly” only comes up if different revisions of parts are discussed.

The new center has some extra holes, It should be easier to set up this way. From the backside even! We’ll see.

I think the MPCNC is good up to a single axis to 3’(smaller is better drastically) anything bigger then move to the LR. My LR is 2’x4. You can have pretty impressive accuracy at most any size with any machine actually, but the better the build the faster you can go and the looser your CAM can be.
P.S. It took at least 4 years for me to be able to define sizes on my machines like that. Takes everything in my power not to be vague and full of if, ands, and buts. In the end I think there are a ton of people that had to have a full sheet router only to realize slapping a full sheet on the table to cut out a 12" part is not as convenient as it sounds and end up cutting them down.

Oh man…you want me to plan ahead future names…Like, past the one I can’t currently decide on. How do people name kids?! Do I have commitment issues? So How about I make some sort of timeline to clarify builds?

Agreed. The issue is people have made remixes and already called them all the obvious things. The mk2 happened like 4 1/2 years ago, not by me. I try to ask people not to do that stuff but if I come up with an obvious naming scheme, someone will no doubt name there remix the next one.

So where we at with names? Primo, fly, valid, proper, legit, quint, slick, boss? Any other suggestions with a lot of likes in this thread? Prime was disqualified because of the larger retailer that gobbled it up.

How about, “Acuity” then?

1 Like

Vote for it?

15 Likes

Pretty slick :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just went to start assembling the pretty version to take pics and test the last of the parts…I am out of my matching filament, can’t order anymore, and Only have feet from a few revisions ago.
My pretty build is not going to match. How Lame!

So I broke out the old centers to get a generational photo.

That is what I consider center V3, a prototype that was never released only Barry and I tried it, the Burly, and a hint of the slick/primo/darryl.

5 Likes

I think I took apart V1 to make V2…to make V3. Also swear I had a 525 but don’t.

Hmm…right when I finally got around to printing the last few pieces that I needed :sweat_smile:

Build it and push it to the limit!!!

1 Like

I have all my center assemblies hanging in the shop.
Google Photos

4 Likes

I might have to try and find the first couple files, and I guess a 525. I really really like to see the progression.

Wow. Those are some beautiful parts.

The flip to vertical belts is a nice choice and that motor mount plus bearing carrier is a sight to behold. Is it just the angle of the pic, or is the motor rotated slightly?

Looking forward to more details!

It’s at 90. My favorite part is the belt is much much closer so I will stop snagging them so often. Something that will need to be done on the LR.

1 Like

Slight mishap…Had to edit the corners, better than ever now. Looks to be good now. Beta testers are back to printing and hopefully I did not waste too much time and filament, thanks guys!

3 Likes

That happens to me a lot. I go to fix one thing and some other issue pops up. Nice to see progress though. I’m most curious what the new XY carriage looks like though. :slight_smile:

The rollers? I have a peak at those above…The center, not yet…It is actually not done yet. I have to add that fancy cut in stuff.

Yeah, the middle part. The motor mounts look great though.