New MPCNC build in Iowa

I had big plans to get everything wired up this weekend, but I realized that the RAMBO box that I was printing did not have enough room for the GX16-6 aviation connectors that I wanted to use. I spent all of Sunday using Fusion 360 to redraw the box from scratch, using the stock box as my pattern.

I am still an amateur Fusion 360 user, so I knew this would be a good exercise for me. I duplicated the stock design, then increased the height and added holes for the connectors. But, when it came time to add the air vent at the front, I couldn’t leave well enough alone.

“If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.”

Here’s a glimpse of what it should look like when it finishes printing…image

10 Likes

Looks good, real good!

I saw CAD and tried to rotate it instinctively.

3 Likes

Don’t try to rotate this one either, @vicious1.

Finished design.

When I was creating my cad drawing, I got carried away and made six holes in the back, so I left the extra hole but added knock-out plugs.

There’s nothing like a personal project to motivate learning. I’ve gone back into the cad file several times (I’m on version 17) to update how I dimensioned some of the features. Initially, I dimensioned everything from the outside of the box, since I was just trying to faithfully duplicate the original, but I went back and dimensioned all the RAMBO features off of the board mounting holes, since that will aid future revisions. (I just wasn’t thinking about it the first time, then I realized that I hadn’t made the design parametrically. Both versions would produce the exact same part, but the later version is more “correct”.)

5 Likes

yes exactly. now you will start projects that way and hopefully get there before V17 next time…but with that said I am on at least V20+ with my new part…oh and save often!

Looks like that needs to be a shirt!!!

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

I’m finally done (I hope) wiring the box. Lots of cutting, stripping, crimping, soldering, testing, removing, starting over, more cutting, resoldering, etc.

I disassembled and reassembled the XY carriage once also, so by the time I finish my first MPCNC, I will have completed two or more builds. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Obligatory crown, with some 100mm squares to check the squareness. The diagonals are within .1mm.

:man_dancing:

8 Likes

YAyAAAAAAAA!!!

So, I my goal for this weekend was to get my enclosure finished. I have been delaying “getting it dirty” because I didn’t have an enclosure and my workspace is also my office in the basement utility room.

I could have just thrown some boards together, but I wanted to use this project to improve my Fusion 360 skills, so I drafted the entire cabinet before heading to the garage to cut the lumber. FWIW, I did the cabinet drawing about 5 times, forcing myself to learn how to make proper components, instead of just plain bodies, etc. And my clumsy CAD skills gave me the opportunity to Google some answers to things I didn’t do correctly, etc.

But, I finally finished the drawing to my satisfaction, then headed to the garage…and even got most of it put together. Just some door hinges and plexiglass left to install. :sunglasses:

I also need to install some lighting and add the down-draft dust collection…but it’s coming together!

Fusion 360 version:

Reality:

5 Likes

Looks like the Rambo, where did you find that box for it? I assume it’s printed? I haven’t seen one with the aeronautical plug holes yet. Would love the .stl file if you have one.

That’s what I get for reading on my phone, didn’t scroll up enough to see the photo of your print. Still, if you’re willing to share I’d love to snag a copy of that file.

Ah, might I suggest adding Rambo to the title? A search didn’t find it because these are board type specific. But thanks for the link!!

1 Like

LOL, just realized I couldn’t find it earlier because you just uploaded it! Thanks for doing that though, I’m sure others will find it very helpful as well. Love the connector ports you added too.

1 Like

This is fantastic! Thx for uploading

That’s a nicely done case and wiring job. Very clean installation.

I find it interesting they market those electrical connectors as “Aviation” connectors though. I’ve been an aircraft mechanic for ~25 years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a connector quite like those in an aircraft. I suppose it’s meant to imply a certain level of quality and robustness? They do look to be well suited to the task here.

I can guarantee they’d cost at least 20x what I’m seeing them listed for on ebay and amazon, if they were sold through aviation channels with requisite FAA form 8130-3 attesting to their airworthiness. 8^)

4 Likes

Let there be light!

I cleaned up my wiring, rebuilt the doors and added lights.

9 Likes

very nice !

1 Like

My cable management. I always assumed I’d use printed cable track, but decided I didn’t need it.