New machine that is not communicating

I am also getting echo:DEBUG:INFO,ERRORS on the bottom of the screen when I control it from RH.

The echo is no big deal.

It looks like you have a checkmark for “disable motors after job/kill” still on. You’ll want that off.

If you don’t fix the x axis, everything you make will be mirrored. It’s easy to change the direction though, just reverse the stepper plug for the X axis. It will be easiest to do at the Mini rambo. Make sure the machine is off, unplugged, when you disconnect it.

There is a bit more info on it here:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/software/reverse-motor/

2 Likes

Will I need to make any changes in the Arduino, or just change the stepper plug?

When I am done with that and I verify it is moving in the correct direction am I ready to load the crown gcode and test it?

Just change the stepper plug. You should not ever have to open arduino again. It’s done it’s job.

Yep. Remember that wherever the tool is when you shart it is the lower left of the crown, amd it will try to draw at the same height as where you started.

Okay first and foremost thank you for getting me this far. Not quite there yet.

The attached pic is what it carved. The bit (90 degree .5 inch V) is making the deep cuts but it is not going in for the detail at all. The pic on the “cube” in RH shows the crown though. Not sure if you can make it out in the second photo.

I started where there was only a piece of paper distance between the bit and the wood if that helps

It would be best to duct tape a pen on there and see what happens on a piece of paper before you turn on the power tools. That is definitely not correct and seems to be extremely deep. The crown is set up to only go down 1mm.

Try again with a pen, unplug the machine, move it to the lower left corner of whatever you are going to draw on. Get the pen tip about one sheet of paper thickness off the surface. Power on, run the crown. Lets see what happens. Try to keep track of how far down it moves, 1/16" or 1"?

1 Like

A common problem in custom machines is that it won’t move the right distance. It will move double, or quadruple the distance. If you move it +3mm in Z, does it move up 3mm(1/8")? If not, we can help you fix that.

When I move it 3mm it moves 3mm, I will try the pen next.

This is really good though. We’ve got a simple test, and it’s failing. We can pick at this until it’s working and then add in more parts.

I think the z is backwards and what was cut is the tool travel path for moving it before cutting down. I am going to reverse it on the board and try it again.

1 Like

Good catch. The positive Z should move it up.

1 Like

Only a good catch because you are teaching me, and I thank you for that.

2 Likes

How is it going? Did that get you a crown?

Going great, I tried to post but saw the forum moved. New forum looks and works amazing by the way! So flipping the z worked and I got a crown. The board was not very flat so it was not even across the board and I think I could have set the starting point a bit lower but still have a crown none the less so I am headed in the right direction

3 Likes

:tada: :+1:

Awesome. So you can choose your own adventure now.

You can either follow through the estlcam basics and 2.5 tutorials (making sure you don’t try to flash the rambo with the estlcam controller software). Estlcam was used to make the test crown.gcode file. Thats how you will use it. It also has the ability to flash some arduinos with the estlcam control software, and if you do that, it won’t work and you’ll get set back a few steps.

Or try to figure out how to work on the vcarve post processor. There was just some posts about it yesterday. There is a link to a PP at the bottom of this page:
https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/milling-basics/#the-ones-we-have-working
I have never tried vcarve, so expect fewer responses. Posting a new topic with vcarve in the title might find the right eyeballs.

The other thing you should do is just save the Marlin .zip file you downloaded. If something happens to that rambo, you can get back to here by flashing this version on a new one, or reflashing onto this one.

Awesome, thanks again for all of your help. I truly appreciate it!!

1 Like

Here’s the post that was talking about vcarve the other day:

1 Like

SGM, I appreciate the work you did here on the Forum. I just built my first CNC - a LowRider2 that I picked up from Ryan and V1. I too am excited and ready to start cutting all the things I planned out and created on my CAD program. I am working through my test steps to get the crown test done before I burn test cuts in some foam board.
What I appreciate most is how patient the guys were in helping. Makes me feel I can get through this too. Threads like this are helping me circumvent those same obstacles - being an Army Combat Engineer, I typically use an explosive response to them - this will need a finer/surgical hand to overcome these obstacles here though.
So let me ask - how is it going now?

Thanks I really appreciate it! Things are going great and the machine works perfect. If you need any help and I can assist, please let me know!!

JB

1 Like