New Build in Speyer Germany

Sooo… long time, but it’s ready to run, now.
I thought.
But after finishing the wiring the stepper aren’t moving at all. I didn’t touched the electronic or plugs under power. I did not install the belts, because I was afraid the wiring could be wrong. I did not install the endstopps yet.
I tried the Z Axis Stepper with it’s original cable.
No movement.

I use EstlCam. Programming looks Ok:
controller running…

Help? Anyone?

1 Like

Hallo Timo, du musst die 12V Spannung an der blauen Klemme am CNC Shield anlegen. NICHT am UNO, dabei kann dir der Spannungsregler vom Arduino abrauchen.

3 Likes

Hi Rich, … aaaahhhh… the 12V must not go on the Arduino, it have to go on the CNC shield… I didn’t know that. Thank you so much.

It‘s alive!!!

Vielen Dank für die Info, wäre ich nie drauf gekommen. Muss ich irgendwo was überlesen haben.

1 Like

You’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
Ich hab am Anfang den selben Fehler gemacht. Deshalb ist es mir gleich aufgefallen :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ja, die eigenen Verfehlungen Fallen einem immer als erstes auf, geht mir genauso :joy:

One last Problem, when the machine stands still, the Stepper Motor of the Z axis makes a sound like when it goes a step. It doesn’t move, but it makes this sound. Does someone know why and what to do against it?

Some people make the same mistake for twenty years - and call it experience.

They always make a whiring or whining sound.

The origin of that sound is simple. The current for the motors is controlled by PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), i.e., the currents that flow through each coil are permanently being switched on and off. What you hear is the frequency of the pulse stream (and its overtone spectrum). The rotors of the steppers shake in the rhythm of the pulses, depending on the history of your fingertips’ contact with soldering irons, you may even feel it.

Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

So, lot of other stuff to do in the last month’s. Lost my new job because of COVID and sitting in lockdown with my two little daughters at the moment. But no one is ill, so could be worse. My wife gave me some time yesterday to play with the Mpcnc. I tried to do the crown test and it was not the best results.
I thought I could skip the repetier host and did everything in Estlcam. Maybe that’s why?

First I used an modified ballpoint pen, but it was drawing upside down and backwards, so I switched the x and y axes and flipped the plugs 180degrees. Better, but the “crown” wasn’t right. The motors are not going smooth, very rattle, ratternd?

I played around with different settings and changed to a marker…but…

What’s wrong with it?

With the CNC Shield you should be able to do everything in Estlcam. I think Uncle Phil on Youtube has got the same setup.

1 Like

Your coordinates should be this way, with you standing somewhere:

• X+ to the right
  • Y+ away
  • Z+ up

Also make sure a 10mm command is moving each axis 10mm.

If you hear a crunching/grinding noise, it is skipping steps. Have you adjusted the ref voltage on the drivers? Do you have the stepper wired in series?

Also check the grub screws on the pulleys and the coupler. Those come loose and the motor is doing the right thing, but the pulley is slipping.

You’re really close.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, I tightened the screws, but there were not lose. The ref voltage on the drivers is fine.

Could it be that I have “communication problems” between Estlcam and my machine.
Maybe I wired it wrong or the connectors are lose or I don’t know. I wired them in series, the diy way with 2 Y-connectors.
I measured the X Y Z axes and there all wrong.
I’m loosing always a little bit on the way and it’s always different.
The directions are right: X+ goes to the right etc. with Y and Z.
But X100mm= 87mm or 95mm or 91mm,
X-100 was 100mm, one time.
The Same with Z and Y, Y100= 72 or 88 …
The Y axis doesn’t start moving smoothly, it’s Rattering for the fist steps.
A command under 10mm and none of the axis will move or just 2-3mm. I think I’m trying to get a Wirekit for my machine. I will try eBay, ordering from the US to Germany is always 6 weeks plus and shipping is more then the parts are worth.

Ok, a wiring kit isn’t available we’re I live. So I will make a new wiring myself for it again. More careful this time (but I was very careful) Maybe it’s just the Y connectors. I do them first and see what’s happening?

But wait, let’s start the detective work… the Z axis isn’t connected in series by an Y connection, but I have problems with it, too.

I’m using shielded cables: LiYCY 4x0,34mm² Lapp

Could it be a settings problem in Estlcam?
Or a problem with the motors? I have 5 other Nema motors sitting on the shelf.
I will change the Z motor and when it changes nothing it can’t be a problem with the motors.
But first I will deconnect XY and connect the Z motor with the standard connection cable that came with it, to see if it’s a cable problem…

I have also a 3D Printer Kit Mega 2560 Board + RAMPS 1.4 + A4988 sitting on my shelf for a 3D printer Project I could try, maybe it would work better?

I doubt it is anything from Estlcam. It is literally sending G0 X100 when you ask it to jog 100mm. The gcode produced is something similar, but it will have some smoothing around corners and stuff.

Do you have the vref set on the drivers?

Do you have the acceleration set in the ?? settings?

There’s something simple that we are missing. There seem like a lot of parts, but they are all usually fine, so something we don’t usually think about isn’t set up right.

1 Like

The wiring is a possibility, but I’d say the chance is low. 0.34mm2 is on the thin side of wire section so you better change that for something like 0.5mm2 in the future, but I really don’t think that this is the cause of your problems.

First, eliminate the most obvious possibility: mechanical issue
remove the belts and make sure everything moves freely by hand.
Then, still with the belts disconnected, send a gcode to the machine and check that the motors actually go towards the right direction on each side. Sometimes you do mistakes while wiring and both motors fight each other. One is generally a tad stronger than the other and wins most of the time, creating weird movements.
Finally put back the belts and do not tension them too much.

If this doesn’t change anything, then I guess it comes down to one of the two things Jeffe mentionned: the motor drivers deliver too little current, or the acceleration setting is too high (or jerk setting, or the max speed, but most likely the acceleration).

You should google for “how to set current on DRV8825 drivers”.
You’re almost there, keep us updated!

1 Like

Hello, my machine did a perfect crown test 5min ago! I’m so happy! Thanks to all so much for your help!!!
The solution was in a bad joke my maths teacher told us years ago…
“When is 2+2=7? If your calculator is broken!” :wink:

Klick here for more details

Here are the details: Don’t trust your tools to much!

I had to order a new multimeter, because my old one wasn’t correct with small values, I found out.
The driver values was at 1,26V, but not anymore.

I redid all settings in Estlcam, so I don’t know if there was a mistake before, but because I have a new laptop, I had to reinstall everything anyway.

And it worked. No problems with the cables.

Finally! Now I can put everything in a big box. Because we moving next month in a new house with a new workshop. So it will be some time between now and when I can do the first real project with it :slight_smile:

7 Likes