New 38"x38" build in Formlabs Tough Resin, Massachusetts

From my experience, the motor mounts. But I still have the first or second gen mounts. I still haven’t bothered to upgrade them. Maybe the next time the break.

I know no infill but I sometimes hollow parts out. I was curious how the parts would work being solid since they’re designed to flex, but I guess the lower elastic modulus of the tough resin works out in favor of that. (roughly half that of PLA it seems?) Nice to hear it is running good!

Ah okay, wasn’t sure what you meant. Thanks, I’m excited to get it up and running asap!

1 Like

How did this turn out?

6 Likes

Hey guys please ignore if you don’t like post bumps, but I can’t help reviving it, because it’s so interesting.

Now in 2023 (3 and a half years later) , I hope there my be some developments that make Resin printing viable for CNC builds.

Printer prices have come down and build volumes have are now large enough in low cost printers like the Elegoo Saturn 4K.
Resin is now far cheaper too.
Some claims have been made that the strength is similar to ABS. Has anyone got any recent data or new resin experience? I remember trying to get the V1 Engineering logo to print in my Arduino RAMPs enclosure with my 4mm nozzle and the quality was bad, even missing one of the letters in “Engineering” entirely, much to my disappointment --but look now: the print quality of resin is just amazing. Here’s hoping we get some superior “engineering” resin to play with!

I honestly did not like the Prussa blue stuff. Way over priced and printed like complete garbage compared to even water wash elegoo.
My resin printer has its uses but I don’t think this would be one of them.
Are you maybe just trying to fdm print too fast or too coarse maybe ?

Thanks Travis

I don’t think it was the layer height (0.3mm), it’s just that fonts have more detail than is immediately apparent and when they went through the slicer (Cura) some of the thin lines where ignored.

I’m hoping the resin technology improves.

1 Like

We just need cheap sls machines.

1 Like

Me too the resin printers are a lot of fun.
I wanted to try the ceramic stuff but never got the chance yet.

Give the economies a few more years and I’m sure you’ll be able to afford your own blacksmith. As a patron, of course, I wouldn’t dare imply chattel slavery.

I prefer the term ‘share-making’. It’s a lot like share-cropping, but you give me CNC time in return for the stuff I make for you.

Co-Patrons
see also: co-dependents, enablers, co-conspirators

Sounds downright medieval to me!

I don’t need a blacksmith, I can do that already.

Listen, roleplaying with a leather apron and tongs doesn’t make you a blacksmith. It just means you lost your gimp mask… :ball_gag: :latex_mask: :gimp: :zed: