New/1st Build in South FLA

Check the pulleys. The motors have to move in lockstep. The current for one is going through the other, so they have to rotate at the same time. If one pulley is loose, then it will lag behind, as rhe screw moves on the flat.

The trick to running square is starting square. Use the ends as a reference. Put a clamp or something on each pipe and pull the gantry up against it before you start. Then command a movement away from that end. If that isn’t square, then you can adjust it by moving the clamp. You can either draw a rectangle and measure the diagonals, or draw a 3-4-5 triangle and measure that.

The steppers get warm when they are energized, because there is current running through them to keep them still. They should stay below 50C or so. The whining is normal and you won’t notice when you start milling.

3 Likes

Hey thanks for the response!

I’ll check the pulleys and give it all a shot. I’m gonna do test cuts in pink foam so I’ll get to do a square test on the cuts tomorrow.

Ideally, start with the test crown. That gcode is very forgiving, and is a good check out of the machine. Jamie is especially good at diagnosing issues with just a picture of the crown.

1 Like

Crowned:

Not sure what I’m looking for, but I think it came out good. Lines are a little fat becaused I used a ball end bur from my Dremel kit. I couldn’t find anything smaller at the moment

5 Likes

Looks perfect to me.

First piece off successfully. Had a few issues with g code from fusion 360, but eventually i got it. Had to strip out everything that wasn’t g90 or g92, or a move command. This was cut from a 1/2" scrap of birch plywood.

It cut the part .030-.050 oversize. Pretty sure it was due to tool deflection. I could have sworn I had a good 1/8" end mill, but couldn’t find anything suitable in my stash. I made this part with the bit that came with the DeWalt router, which was just too long for the cut I was making.

Aside from getting some better bits, dust collection is the next step. I have ideas here.

1 Like

If you need something to be precise, then you should do a full depth finishing pass.

I did. I even stopped the program after the holes were drilled to screw the part to the spoil board.

Now, fortunately this part didn’t need to be precise…I’m just testing limitations

I think that bit is meant for cutting drywall and such. A proper mill type bit will probably make a big difference.

Agreed. I have some appropriate 1/4" bits, but I thought that might have been overkill for this part, and my dust management system is not set up. Does dewalt offer 3/16" collets for this model? I have a bunch of nice coated carbide 3/16 bits.

Tonight I got the touch plate working and installed the mpcnc post processor for fusion 360 which looks like a breath of fresh air. I had been doing a lot of manual cheat code modifications and that got old really quick.

WOW! While laying out my dust collection lines I noticed that a tension bolt on the x carriage was completely loose! The gantry could raise about 1/32" or more on one side of X. This could have definitely caused some size and perpendicularity issues in my first cut. Glad I found it now. Rest of the tensions feel good.

1 Like

Made some progress on dust collection. I know it is not ideal, not having a shoe, but I like being able to see the tool when it is running. It is going to be a delicate balance between getting the nozzles positioned just above the work when at final depth, and minimizing how much of the cut area is reduced by the extra girth they add to the carriage. I also need a better mounting system…but im out of PLA.

This system will run off my central vacuum for the house…which ironically I have never used in 5 years of living here to, you know, vacuum the house.

Just need a little more pipe…didnt buy enough and I’m trying to minimize hardware store trips in the pandemic era…

3 Likes

Love that Bridgeport in the background!

1 Like

If you can, try to shorten that dust hose on the Z axis. It’s going to cause issues when it gets pulled while you’re cutting. Or hang the hose off the ceiling to take the tension off.

The plan is definitely to hang the hose from the ceiling…I realize now I failed to mention that in the original post, lol. Still a work in progress.

1 Like

Cool, just throwing that out before you really mess up a project. The pipe acts like a lever, so if the hose gets one of the ridges caught on the side of the table it will pull on the end of the z, which causes the endmill to dig in, then it goes sideways from there.

No worries. Advice and suggestions are always welcome!

I’m itching to finish this up and get back to cutting, but I have to wait until the end of my work-from-home duties.

Stupid work. Always getting in the way.

Truer words have never been spoken…

I hooked up the vacuum. It is…ok. I think the loc line is too directed. I may remove the nozzles. I can also lower the nozzles depending on how deep I am cutting. I don’t mind a little dust, as long as this catches most the airborne stuff that settles on printer, mill, and telescope I will be happy.

Also added a harbor freight speed control.

I think that will do it for now. Time to find things to make!

4 Likes