"Neon" V1 sign

I wanted to make a sign for myself.
…I mean it was totally for OpenSauce just to have some bling. It looks good in the shop though right?!

I used 1/4 ply with HD foam super 77’d to the back for thickness. I used these LED’s https://amzn.to/442O98T. They can be super bright, any color and dimmable. Took 4.25 strings. If I did it all perfect, it might have happened with 4.

I added some 3D printed sides and another layer of 1/4" ply for a back.

After I glued up my thick panel I carved in the right thickness slot, and did the full cutout as large as my table would allow.

Lots of soldering and carefully bending into the slots. For each end there is no way to stretch or anything, so at the end if you are careful you can fold the last LED section to get pretty close to the right length. If you zoom in you can see a few sections where I glued on a piece of the rubber to cover the gaps.

I could not get the current right and pooped all the little drivers it came with. The replacement driver was better anyway and has a wifi app along with a higher current limit. The wiring is a mess because I cut a lot of the strings to inject the power right into the middle of two separate sections with balanced power draw on all four legs. So the “Engineering” letters are split up amongst the larger sections to get the balance pretty close.

You can see the ends pretty clear here.

It was not without its issues, it was tedious. In the end it was so very worth it. I smile when I see it on the wall. That is all that matters.

25 Likes

Whoops I knew I had a thread somewhere, "Neon" sign - #14 by vicious1

It’s worth a double thread. That’s a kickass sign!

That’s sign is bad ass!!!

1 Like

That is damn near perfect - almost looks like a computer render it’s so clean. Very cool!

4 Likes

You are right, Half Life bells are ringing. :smiley:

4 Likes

Sweet looking sign @vicious1!

Can the LED strips display multiple colors at the same time, i.e. individually addressable LEDs?

1 Like

It is weird that they show that rainbow in the description. I don’t see anything else that would indicate they are individually addressable. If you look through the customer review pics, there aren’t any that show addressable. There are a few with two colors, but I bet they used two controllers.

Ryan, the sign looks awesome. Fit for open sauce.

3 Likes

Nope, not individually addressable. I am glad only for the reason that I would sit here and spend three days making animations…

The drivers that come with the board say they can handle 3 strips each. They popped at anything over 2 strips. This one seems pretty happy, https://amzn.to/3N6vn9K, maybe that is from the balancing and injecting into the middle of each strip though. While the app is not needed, it does let you have some sound activated effects, timers, and finer control.

If you ever use individually addressable LEDs, I am a big fan of WLED with a ESP32. There are a bunch of animations already included.

The other popular one is FastLED but I am less familiar.

2 Likes

I use WLED in my Zen table, I love it!

3 Likes

The sign looks in the photographs like it is made from real “glass tubes bent” neon, classic neon sign!

Thanks, I like the look of it myself. It took way more work than expected.

2 Likes

Sounds like every project I attempt LOL

“We do this, not because it is easy, but because we think that it will be easy!”

I forget exactly where I heard this paraphrase first, but I’m sure that I’ve read it on this forum before. It applies to many things that I do for hobbies.

1 Like