My turn at Printables contest

I don’t think I fit that one “we would like to see the entries be as close to completely printable as possible”. I hope there is a better fitting category soon.

1 Like

@vicious1 consider submitting most accessible printable aesthetically appealing V1E project. Others have submitted models that are not 100% printed.

Your project entry may not win, but the Makers who discover V1E and end up making your project(s) will benefit.

Submitting will help other makers become aware of V1E projects that they’ll enjoy discovering and making.

2 Likes

Also think you should, nice free prom for your damned great hard work…

2 Likes

For mechanical marvels they say:

For this competition, we are going to be looking at aesthetics more than function. A moving sculpture is more interesting to us here than a very bland-looking mechanical machine with a job.

This pretty much kills my interest in this one, because to me the function is the aesthetic.

6 Likes

Hi Jamie,
I’ve started printing a few pieces from your openscad files… thanks for the parametric parts. :slightly_smiling_face:
I had purchased a D150F750 mirror set last summer and just got around to starting on it.
We’re using a chunk of leftover 6" drain pipe, decided to the spider on the flared end.

Anyway, this is cool man! Nice work.

4 Likes

Hi Jamie, I was trying to figure out how the length calculation works

𝐿 = 800 − 77 − 113/2 = 666.5 mm length

my 150mm primary mirror only fits the flared end of the pipe 170.6mm OD and 159.6mm ID
the non flared end is 159.6 OD and 148.6 ID.

The 750 focal length should be the same regardless of diameter of the end the spider is on correct?
the OpenSCAD file is giving me different lengths to cut the tube and I’m hoping to only cut once :grin:

The 750 focal length is independent of diameter but after the light bounces off the secondary mirror, it must travel the radius of the tube and then an additional length to form an image outside the outer diameter of the tube. If the focal length and tube length are fixed and the radius increases, then the distance from the outside of the tube to the focal point will get shorter.

My hope was for the accessories like the camera mount to be universal independent of mirror focal length or diameter, so I want the distance from the outer diameter of the tube to the focal point should be constant.

Therefore, as the radius increases, the tube length (and distance from primary to secondary) must be shorter by a corresponding amount so that the focal point is always at the same distance from the outer diameter of the tube.

If you have a tube with a variable diameter then for the length calculation you would use the outside diameter of the tube at the point where you are drilling a hole for the light to bounce sideways to the viewfinder.

Curious what’s the largest scope anyone made using Jamie’s design?

Looks like an interesting Nova event is likely to happen this year…

https://blogs.nasa.gov/Watch_the_Skies/2024/02/27/view-nova-explosion-new-star-in-northern-crown/

I was surprised to find this thread still alive, so I thought I’d hijack it! Unless the topic inspires me and the planets are aligned just so I’m not interested in entering, but I had a bit of slow moving stock lying around in the cloud.

Current contest is for a dice tower, which is something I started playing with a couple of years ago to make as a gift for a friend and never finished mostly because my beloved thought the whole concept of having something to throw dice with was silly. For some reason I thought of it over the weekend and got it done.

24-04- 29 at 20-50-49

7 Likes

That’s pretty slick. Best of luck!

On the printer now.

Thanks! One of the criteria for the judging is “downloads popularity”, mostly the top three or so come from the pool of the top downloads, not always, but mostly - I have entered this one way too late for success, but it was fun to do and that’s really the point.

That is stupendous! I hope you like it!

1 Like

I assume that “makes” also counts,.so I’ll post the make when the printer finishes in an hour or so.

I don’t game enough to need a dice tower myself, but I know someone who does and will be needing a birthday gift soon. Might as well give you a boost while I’m at it.

1 Like

1 Like

Corrected thanks @Michael_Melancon

I’d hate to be the judge - out of 500 models, all of the ten top downloads/makes are going to meet the Quality and Printability criteria. I’ve been in the top 5 or ten percent often for downloads and likes, which is just as satisfying to me as winning, but to do that you have to enter on the day!

Originality is difficult - the leading model in the downloads stakes at the moment is a castle tower with a spiral staircase - I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that sort of thing before, but it’s going to get some sort of gong by sheer weight of numbers. Same thing for the numerous skulls, but there’s a dice somewhere way down the line which seems to have random paths inside.

Other works? I think that’s just there to help weed out plagiarists.

Assembly instructions - so many models don’t include any instructions.

The only criteria I’d add, which I think is a given but not noted, is that the model must be printed by the designer! How many files are uploaded as graphic images only??? My pet hate!

2 Likes

The one bar there bugs me a bit. The space there is just enough that I can see a die falling through that gap every once in a while, just because it could possibly fit…

3 Likes

I worried about that - but the trajectory seems to be OK - we’ve only tried a couple of sizes and had a few hundred rolls, but sure as eggs, someone will find a way!

1 Like

They haven’t met my kids. Given the chance, at least one die is going off the board at full speed, and ending up under the couch.

I printed a small one for dragonwood, which has a 6d6 rolls pretty often. I will try to print yours tomorrow so I can tell a story when I use it.

3 Likes

I somehow feel the same, but it helps if the space on the table is limited. Did you consider a “fence” or “pool” where the dice drop into so they can’t roll too far? You could make it an addon, a base, so to say.

1 Like

No - what’s a dice game if some don’t get out of control? :rofl:

1 Like