My take on the MPCNC (double X and Y tubes + double Z axis)

Hello all

About 6 month ago I did build my MPCNC.
It is a bit different than other builds I think, so I though it would be interesting for some of You to see?
Working area aprox. 1160 mm x 760 mm
Thank you Ryan for all your hard work :+1:

/Michael

6 Likes

That’s a lot of mpcnc right there :). Looks neat.

Thank You jeffeb3 :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s really something. Double supports of Z that way should be quite good at minimizing Z tilt. Minimum would be twice the stiffness but I would think it would be significantly more than that.

@jamiek
Yes Z tilt was a problem due to the large machining area (and heavy spindle). double Z axes make a big difference. But double X and Y also helps a lot in terms of deflection. My 2.2 kW spindle weighs about 5.5 kg.
I use Ø25x4 mm tube on X and Y which also gives extra strength.

I have seen double X & Y done only once before although the arrangement was quite different, using double the motors on X and Y (meaning 4 each, 8 total) and a single motor for Z.

The MPCNC is very cost effective but if someone is wanting increased stiffness for a bit more cost, there are not many options that make sense. Yours is the exception. I think this is a great design for a stiffer machine for not too much more cost.

2 Likes

Thanks Jamie. i’ve seen another solution with double X and Y (single Z). I do not think it is quite as effective at reducing Z tilt, but still a great design.

@jamiek
I was watching your YouTube channel. Your double decker provides greatly reduced Z tilt even at very high Z clearance. I like it :+1:

What was the purpose of having it so when the workarea height is a quarter of that?

The upper gantry prevents tilting but if it is not very tall, it could have a multiplier effect that increases the lateral load on the lower gantry. The logical consequence of minimizing the “leverage” is to make the upper gantry as high as possible.

1 Like

So how stiff is it? Can you post a video of it cutting through steel or diamonds? :grinning: (I’d settle for aluminum.)

1 Like

well, with pipes that are 45" long in X and 61" long in Y then it is obviously not the most stable MPCNC built :wink:
As I wrote earlier, it was not rigid enough, so I came up with the idea of ​​double X, Y and Z.
It mills plywood, MDF and DELRIN without problems, but I am not sure it can mill Aluminum.
But I will try, and give you some feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

Can you give me some recommended cutting speed and feed for the MPCNC in Aluminum?

I did some testing today.

3 mm carbide 2 flute.
Cutting speed: 226 m/min
Feed: 500 mm/min
DOC: 3 mm
Cooling: Air

I must admit that it did better than expected, and I think I can get more out of it :slightly_smiling_face:
But I am more than happy right now :sunglasses:

Rough cut:

Final cut (200 mm/min 0.2 mm):

6 Likes