MPCNC Primo Tornado - Z Independent Dust Collection

Hey there, good catch!
Sorry, I forgot to update the original post with hex.

I originally was designing this to work with Phillips but found hex m3 machine screws in my collection halfway through. So I designed some caps for them to make it tool-less.

Either or would work! Phillips would probably turn out to be a PITA.

1 Like

Also, here is my gitlab repo for this project.
Just for backup incase thingiverse is down.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. That’s like 95% of my existing screw collection, so I’m glad they are hex screws!

I ended up typing up another blog post about another recent modification I did for a quick hot-swappable Z axis change. I’m unsure if I’ll make a new forum post regarding it but feel free to check it out! STLs / images on my blog.

https://austinoneil.com/mpcnc-hot-swappable-z-axis/

2 Likes

I’m excited to make this! I’m wondering - can you detail the dust collection side of things? What hose (and size) are you using, what vacuum, etc? Are you using a cyclone dust collector, that kind of thing.

@JCutrell Sorry, I missed the notification for this.

This is a printed cyclone that I’ve been using, its not bad and seems to capture 90% of the dust. If you have $50 bucks just go buy one from Home Depot tbh.

I have a 12 gallon Ridgid shop vac and a Ridgid car cleaning kit. The orange hose you see in my pictures is this hose here.

Thank you for the info!

One more thing - I can’t seem to get the dust shoe low enough even sliding all the way down. Is this because you have modified the DW660? I don’t see the black locking mechanism on yours. The dust shoe is about 1/4” to 1/2” above the work piece. Do I need to print longer arms or mount them lower on the core possibly?

@AONeil ^ sorry, forgot to mention you.

Based on the photo, my guess is that you’re Z-axis legs are taller than his. You’d have to make the arms longer to account for any extra height.

@JCutrell I’m not sure why the forum is not sending me notifications. Sorry for the late reply. Yeah my guess is that your corner legs are higher than mine. You’ll have to modify the sliding arms using the step file I provided.

Other than that, the build looks great! got any more photos?

I had this issue when I was logged in on my phone and notebook at the same time. So double check to make sure that is not the problem. If it is just log out of one or the other.

Has anyone else given this a try? Curious to see how many people are using this design.

@JCutrell did you end up lengthening the sliding arms to get this to work for you?