MPCNC PRIMO F-25mm NEMA23 CLOSED LOOP steppers

I put the S42B driver on an old 3D printer with layer shift problems (yes, you are right, it’s a Geeetech).
The layer shift problems completely went away, but print quality suffers.
Previously it made quite nice surfaces but now it’s like it’s using full steps.
The S42B allows you to set the stepping on a little OLED screen, but curiously you have to use about 20% more steps/mm in your control firmware to get accurate real world dimensions.
This makes me think that the stepping the S42B offers isn’t real “stepping”, but some home brewed scheme.
My point - use S42B if you’re worried about missed steps, but be prepared to loose accuracy.

Hi RRacer,
Thanks for the reply.
Since 3D printers are much more my field than cnc - I can tell you that you don’t solve constant layer shifting on a printer by putting a closed loop driver on the steppers. That’s like treating an infected wound with pain killers - you will solve the pain but the underlying problem is still there. Layer shifting is in most cases caused by poorly tensioned belts, poor quality belrs and pulleys or in rare cases by overheating of the drivers or steppers. The closed loop drivers are there to prevent layer shifting caused by accidents - like print head hitting something and to generally improve the accuracy of the printer. They are not there to replace a poorly configured motion system, but to further improove and secure a good one. I bought the s42b drivers but still haven’t tested them. I also made a nice enclosure for them, I can send you the stls if you like.

[Late reply - sorry]

Thanks for your offer on the stl’s for that wicked looking enclosure, but I rerouted the OLEDs to the top of the printer. Couldn’t see them when at the end of the motor, and wouldn’t fit either.

Regarding the layer shifts, when I get those it’s mainly because a smaller/thinner surface curls upwards when the previous layer shrinks from cooling down, and the nozzle snags it.
It could absolutely be mechanical issues, but from where I am it’s probably more of a slicer thing. Z hop could possibly help.
I’ve got a new printer on it’s way. Hope it works better than the old, worn out Geetech.

Btw, cool steampunk mill you got there!