MPCNC build, Vancouver Island, BC Canada

Hi all.
My friend and I are collaborating on an MPCNC build. We are building to a 24x24" work area. We have scavenged most of the hard parts necessary from our various 3d printing efforts. Notably a spare SKR board and Prusa stepper motors scavenged from a dismantled MK2. I have begun printing parts on my Voron0.1 and Voron Switchwire from Matter3d PLA. Various parts have been ordered and are arriving from Amazon and Aliexpress. I have cut some 1inch/25.4mm 0.065 Stainless Tubing as the rails, to the dimesions specified by the online configurator. We are planning on mounting an 80w Laser from LaserTree, and are currently studying spindle vs router for a machine toolhead. Any input would be appreciated on this matter, as we are unsure, and are willing to spend more on a spindle if it makes sense to do so. Thanks for viewing!

3 Likes

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start. There are various users here making use of trim routers (Makita compact router or Dewalt compact router) as well as others using spindles. I think the majority are on trim routers. I use the Makita. It will probably come down to a mix of considering both weight, pricing, availability, as well as as power. You seem pretty on top of things for all this. The compact routers are a great blend of lightweight, power, and affordability. Probably why they are so popular. I’ve had great results with mine. It started as a LowRider v2, and then was upgraded to a LowRider v3. Unrelated: I also made another LowRider v3 to carry a plasma torch.

1 Like

Hi Doug! Your LowRider v3 plasma looks pretty cool! I’ll have to sit down and go through your build threads…

So doing a bit of research over coffee this morning, and it sounds like a spindle is the way to go in our case. The advantages of the router are cost and simplicity, the spindle rules in all other areas, including speed, torque, durability/longevity, control and the lower noise would be a huge factor for us, although until the spindle is in our hands I won’t rule out using a router, as they are readily available down the road at the hardware store. The added complexity of the spindle is a not a problem for us, as we are both industrial electricians who regularly handle, install and modify/maintenance 600v VFD’s in an industrial setting.
Looking at a RATTMMOTOR 600W Brushless Spindle Motor Kit on Amazon.ca(forum wont let me post the link)
Its a Chinese product, as a sub $300CAD package seems like decent value. Any other good candidates out there that are recommended as spindles for the MPCNC?

1 Like

Sounds exciting. Please keep us posted on your progress and results!!

I also made a YouTube playlist of videos about the LowRider plasma build:

The work area you have in mind is pretty large for a Primo. Mine was 16x24 and I had noticeable chatter in the middle of the work area with a Makita router. Adding the extra weight of a spindle might make it sag a little more in the middle.

Maybe you should have a look at @Jonathjon’s builds of the LR3, he uses a spindle and designed a mount for it as well.

1 Like

Chatter from my 24” x 24” Primo is what made me decide to build the second LR3 and turn the primo into a dedicated laser machine.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback on the work area, and your comments do address some concerns I have about the Primo. This will be the first but not only CNC that we will build, and its quite likely that our next will be a Lowrider or a PrintNC. There is a good chance that the Primo will become a dedicated laser as you have mentioned doing, Jonathan. Many spindles I have looked seem smaller than the routers, but perhaps these are lower power devices which we wont be happy with…

1 Like

Depends on what you want. :smiley:

So time for our first update. After a few weeks of printing parts, and gathering supplies, and accepting packages from abroad we began assembly. Everything went smoothly and only a few curve balls came our way.

We are using 25.4mm Stainless Tubing. nice stuff!

Trucks and belts fed thru.

X and Y tubing on and sliding. These steppers are just place holders until we receive larger ones.

Top clamps on the corners.

Z axis assembly together.

Finally had to clean up the mess and take a good pic for where we left it.

We had a good time and the build came together really well to this point. I have a couple parts to print, and some more parts to order, such as stepper motors. But the next big steps are wiring and firmware. We have decided to go with the Makita 700 router and forego any spindles for the time being. Also, we will be starting off with a mini-Rambo 1.3a board and an old Creality 12864 screen.

and yes that is a half built boat we are building on :slight_smile:

2 Likes