MPCNC 15W LED Laser

Hi

I have taken over an MPCNC and now want to finish building it.
Since I was bored in lockdown, I bought a Neje laser with 15W LED power for the MPCNC.
https://neje.shop/products/40w-laser-module-laser-head-for-cnc-laser-cutter-engraver-woodworking-machine

I now have the MPCNC at home and have started to finish the MPCNC.
Available components.

• Double end switch
  • Rambo 1.4
  • laser

Now I come to my question.
What kind of PC software can / should I use?

Servus Klaus

If you are asking about just the Laser, then LightBurn seems to be the software of choice. It is a one-time purchase. If you are asking more generally, start with the Software Workflow page, plus the chart in this topic.

4 Likes

If you are comfy with configuring and flashing firmware on the board, and you are going to do a lot of etching with the laser, then I would advise checking out grbl 1.1. Grbl has pwm throttling that works really good and almost guarantees good looking images. One caveat is grbl is not officially supported here. Grbl is also a lot lighter weight than Marlin, as it was designed for Cnc use from the start.

1 Like

Hi

I’ve already had my experiences with marlin.
Got me locked down with a lot of help from this forum
built a Scara Zen table with Mega, Ramps and Marlin with an Rasspery Pi as interface.
Link

But now I will look at Grbl and LightBurn.
Estelcam doesn’t seem to work with the Rambo 1.4 anymore.

Maybe later I would like to use the MPCNC as a milling machine.

servus Klaus

I need your help again.

Can’t compile the V1 version 2.0.7.2 from Ryan on my Rambo1.4 board.
Arduino: 1.8.15 (Windows 10), Board: “RAMBo”

Error message:

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: In function8_tAVR0id) ':

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: 90IC_8G_ 'was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_START ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: 90: 3: suggested : ‘SIG_ATOMIC_MAX’

U8G_ATOMIC_START ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIG_ATOMIC_MAX

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: 100: 3 'was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_END ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: alternative: 3: suggested : ‘U8G_ESC_END’

U8G_ATOMIC_END ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

U8G_ESC_END

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: In function8_tAVR3 'void ':

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: 110IC_8G_ 'was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_START ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: alternative. 3: suggested note : ‘SIG_ATOMIC_MAX’

U8G_ATOMIC_START ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIG_ATOMIC_MAX

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: 120: 3 'was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_END ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C: \ Users \ Klaus \ Downloads \ V1CNC_Rambo_Dual-2.0.7.2-src (1) \ Marlin_V1CNC_Rambo_Dual_2.0.7.2_510-src \ Marlin \ Marlin \ src \ HAL \ AVR \ u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: alternative: 3: suggested : ‘U8G_ESC_END’

U8G_ATOMIC_END ();

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

U8G_ESC_END

exit status 1

Error when compiling for the board RAMBo.

This report would be more detailed if the option
“Verbose output during compilation”
would be enabled in File -> Prefe

serwus
Klaus

The errors are most likely because you do not have the U8glib library installed in your Arduino build. You can include it from Sketch/Include Library/Library Manager. But even if you get past this error, you may not get this version of Marlin to compile with the Arduino IDE. Given the complexity/size of the later Marlin builds, the Arduino IDE often fails to compile. V1 recommends using PlatformlO to compile your project.

FYI: Somehow you’ve marked this posted quested as a solution.

2 Likes

The Arduino IDE on Windows will barf trying to compile this. You can use the IDE on Linux though. PlatformIO as Robert posted is your answer.

2 Likes

Guten Tag

Habe inzwischen weitergemacht
und nochmal die neueste Marlin version 2.0.7.2 von Ryan aufgespielt.
Was soll ich sagen, der Laser funktioniert.

Habe die Krone mit S 26.000 geschnitten (aus einem Pizzakarton)

Da ich Laser Leistung über Frequenz Steuerung der Spindel (TTL) ausgebe was ist der Maximalwert?

100 % = S ???
50 % = S ??

danke Klaus

2 Likes

Hi,

By default Marlin’s Configuration_adv.h file has :
#define CUTTER_POWER_UNIT PWM255

So in your case 100% is S255 and 50% is S127

1 Like

Danke

Guten Tag

4mm Pappelholz
Laser Max (255)
Vorschub 100mm
keine Luftunterstützung (noch keine)

servus Klaus

2 Likes

Hi,

Theorically better settings here would be:
Focus : 20mm
laser max 100% / 255
speed : 120mm /min

This is setting i use for 5mm birch plywood, except focus to 19.5mm.

For focus you can use that formula:
22mm - half the thickness of what you want to cut

1 Like

Guten Tag

Hab die Düsen von dkj4linux gedruckt und werde sie morgen einbauen und probieren.

Luftdüse läuft super.
Schnitte werden jetzt richtig sauber.

Ich habe ein problem mit der LightBurn Software,

M108 schaltet bei mir den den Laser für ca 1 sek ein.

Ich muss von Hand den Gcode umschreiben in
G1 x123 Y456 f120 S255 in eine Zeile
dann funktioniert alles so wie es soll.

G0 schaltet automatisch den Laser aus
der nächste G1 Befehl wird auch von mir umgeschrieben,
kann man so machen,
ist aber nicht im Sinne der Erfinders denke ich.

Wer kann mir Wieder einmal ein bischen hefen?

Danke
Klaus

1 Like

Hi Guys

I m currently benchmarking the diff solutions to start with various maker machines.
I m looking for a laser (neje ready to use laser) in a first step and cnc in a second.

I saw that few are saying cnc machines are not adapted for lasers because not quick enough and it s better to have one laser and one cnc machine.

What do you thing is the primo +laser à nice solution or it’s better to have 2 diff machines?

Merci :slight_smile:

One of the benefits of the MPCNC models in my experience is the ABILITY to mount a variety of tools. Many here are using lasers successfully on both the Primo and the Lowrider, so I don’t believe that velocity is a problem.

As Tom mentioned, velocity probably isn’t a real problem. It might be a theoretical problem, but it’s not a real problem. As Ryan often says, make some chips (or in this case, smoke), and see what the results are, then decide what needs to be tweaked. The real strength of his design is that it’s dirt cheap, so making modifications is reasonably painless.

Edit: Oh, and welcome! :candle: :goat: :candle: The initiation will be scheduled as soon as you can produce a crown… :wink:

If the laser weighed as much as a spindle, then momentum (changing direction quickly) would probably become more of an issue, but the side lasers are light enough that it doesn’t really have an impact.

I m looking for a laser (neje ready to use laser) in a first step and cnc in a second.

The answer to your questions depends on what you are doing, and what hoops you are willing to jump through. For cutting any significant material, you will not require much speed. Even the best NEJE laser moves slow enough cutting thin wood that there are no speed issues using the MPCNC running an 8-bit control board at the standard 12V. But if you goal is raster operations (engraving something by scanning back in forth) , then most MPCNC setups are slow compared to the better, dedicated laser machines with 32-bit boards.

But there are a few post on this forum of MPCNC setups that have faster performance. They achieve this performance by running faster, 32-bit control boards at higher voltages. The performance numbers match the faster, dedicated diode laser machine, but I don’t know of anyone who has put a laser on these faster machines and run quality tests.

And there are some features and abilities that come with a dedicated machine (including some safety features) that you won’t get by attaching a laser to an MPCNC.

1 Like