Minnesota Build - Low Rider

Hey Kris!

Where in MN are you? I’m in Bismarck, ND and I can get metric bolts from ACE and MAC’s hardware. They are just in a dusty corner where no one goes…

I am in Luverne - 30 East of Sioux Falls, SD

OMG! I have discovered a whole genre of youtube videos I wasn’t aware of. Videos of people building shop furniture!

:smiley:

Dude, I have to say it again. That just looks amazing. I want to make mine out of clear now. I am behind on lowrider kits I might go pick up some acrylic and make myself a set while I am at it.

I would just put the 4 small z rails into the small xy corner pieces and feed them into the side panel. Then you have both halves basically fully assembled without the lead screws. Put them on the table. Get the x axis on the rails and the rails into the xy corner. Last step add the lead screws from the bottom up.

Ryan - I understand it’s not needed to run LowRider - I am curious to know how LowRider can be controlled by pronterface

I seen someone on Youtube using it but I am not sure the benefits of it versus just using the existing set up.

Pronterface is the same as repetier. It is just a controls software, I doubt there are any differences that you would notice in our use case.

I dug out my tubes from SpeedyMeatals.com and now I am trying to back into the table measurements.

X Tubes are 62 7/8" so what would my table width end up being ??

[attachment file=54177]

Ryan - thanks that helps a bunch. I now know why I couldn’t figure it out as I was only looking at the table width and not the 2X rails value. Bad day for my tunnel vision.

One other thing I thought of… when building out the assemblies… do you use any locktite on any of the bolts?

Nyloc’s

Sorry, I meant the screws that are on the steppers, etc

Also, what type of cable wiring is most common? Shielding, Gauge, etc I want something that is still pliable when its cold out. I am going to put the lowrider into my outdoor shed which does not have any heat right now.

Lastly, what loom material is best? I have some loom material that I tried to used on the LCD cables but it’s too rigid.

I haven’t needed to but it wouldn’t hurt.

I have stranded in the shop, but since the wiring harnesses I have not needed it.

In the shop I use the pet sleeve on most things. The spiral comes in handy near the board where it is likely I am going to change something.

I am going to attempt the software install today - can someone tell me… do I have to do anything special to have the end stops? I know I don’t need the end stops but lessons learned from my MPCNC end stops would have been good - crashed it several times due to my carelessness.

Can anyone provide assistance… I have got my board set up but now I am trying to get things connected to Repetier and not sure how it all connnects and what settings I need to change in Repetier. I loaded a simple gcode file into Repetier that I used on my old MPCNC and now Repetier shows the job taking over 20 minutes to do and I know that’s not right.

Not 100% on what is going on, but you should not have to make any changes to repetier at all.

For LowRider Ramps set up is it only three drivers or do I need five, one for each stepper motor?

Is lowrider also at the 32nd stepping?

I think I am confusing the build here…

It’s very similar to the mpcnc. There drivers needed, except instead of two motors on Y, it’s two motors on Z. Yes, all three jumpers need to be installed. If you have drv8825s, that is 1/32nd stepping.

Don’t mess with gcode until you have the basics down. Make sure each axis moves the right amount and things move the right way. Make sure you can move things anywhere in the work space, etc. Your not using endstops, right?

I’m not sure what repeater uses for its estimates and its speed. I don’t think it should be machine dependent.

three drivers or five? I now have the jumpers in and the speed seems right. I adjusted the pots to .70

I am saying five because I was looking at this page.

https://www.v1engineering.com/auto-square-dual-endstops/

I want to use end stops but I have not set those up. I want to get the basics working first.