Making Progress but questions on cut

It has taken much longer then experted to learn all the nuances to even get a first cut. What a deep learning curve this is. Even to get something basic cut.

I spent way to long trying to get FreeCAD to work. I really wanted to use and support open source but it’s just way to buggy and the documentation is pretty bad and missing context. That along with not really knowing what I am doing was too much. Finally gave up. I spent WELL over a month on this. Bah!

TinkerCAD. Quite the cool little capable tool once you learn some of those secrets. Ultimately, 2D and inkscape won. With inkscape I can keep the paths separate paths which helped with paths. With TinkerCAD it merges them down to a single path which did not work for what I was doing.

I also tried to figure out how to download fusion 360. What a mess. There is no “personal use” option only business or educator. The download never does anything. I had to open a support ticket and nobody has responded and the trial clock is ticking. Oh well…I guess I can’t play with the cool kids.

Back to ESTLCAM, since it was recommended. It is quite clunky and yet quite capable. Lots of secrets. Oh parameters for multiple materials. Oh you can delete paths. Oh you can pocket between the separate paths of an O. Still a lot to learn.

Finally, on to a SIMPLE project. I’ve tried many “simple” projects, but there is always a gotcha that isn’t so simple. E.g. A square with a notch and you can’t cut out the entire notch with a hole path. I am finding nothing is “simple”. Anyhow, I decided to make a house number sign. A square with numbers and profile the edge (like chamfer but using bullnose for flourish). In the end I abandoned the bullnose since I was having issues and the toolchange was yet another “problem” to eliminate. Geez.

So finally I get a reasonable ESLTCAM output and cut the house sign out of PINK Foam. But I had split the job into separate paths. 1 to a file. So I could run them separately. I think that was a mistake without editing. But it may have been a misunderstanding about coordinates needing to be reset (more on that later). When I ran the SECOND file it went wonky. It cut into the work piece from the wrong direction (did I miss something?) and went to the wrong depth. Uhg. So, I got rid of the bullnose path dressup and kept it even simpler (if boring) all 1 bit in 1 gcode file and it cut great in Pink Foam!

I had carpet tapes the pink foam on top of my actual work piece. So, when I went to cut my actual work piece, I set my Z height to the top of the wood, assuming it would start from wherever I put the Z. Nope. It raised up and was cutting air. Grr. Took a while to figure out “RESET COORDINATES” on the LCD. Finally cutting wood. It cut the numbers pretty well but the outer boarder sounded like it was struggling and went wonky and the bit actually came out of the collet. Doh! Close but no cigar.

Thoughts on setup for this outside profile cut? Is anything too aggresive or do you think it was just the loosened bit?

Details:
1/4" UP cut endmill. SpeTool 1/4 Dia 3 Inch Extra Long CNC Solid Carbide Up Cut Router Bit

Plywood 12mm, really thin layers fancy baltic like face. I assumed this as Hardwood but laminate is even faster. You can see how thin the ply face is as it pulled off when I removed the masking tape. Masking tape did not do well. Sounds like folks use oramask?

10MM Toolpath Depth (2mm left instead of tabs)
6.35mm Depth Per Pass
91 mm/s(215 i/m)
stepover 40% (but not in play here)

The profile path was in fresh wood (all sides of bit touching wood). The path (Not rotation) was going counter clockwise around the board, and it was struggling. Does direction matter here? I can’t change rotation on the Makita clone AFAIK. Rotation is still confusing and I don’t find much concrete info yet.

Tighter bit (of course) but what else?
Ramp Endmill 45?
Slow the feed? 85mm/s?
Depth of Pass 5mm?
what else?

Thanks
Rick

3 Likes

This is way too much, that’s 5460mm/min, the fastest most of us go is like, 2000. Also the cutting depth is really high for a dust try. I did cut MDF at 2000mm/min and 6mm DOC, but that was quite optimistic as well and I have been running my machine for 2.5 years.

Try 32mm/sec and 3mm DOC. You can always go higher later.

Also, really tighten the collet for the endmill not to fall out.

There is an option in Estlcam that lets you choose between conventional and climb. There are a few discussions regarding this in the forum and in the Estlcam tooltips.

4 Likes

You don’t need to change the direction of the router, just the direction it is travelling in - there’s a pretty good explanation in the Milling Basics section of this website actually. If you’ve ever used a router you will have an idea of the difference in the two directions - you would rarely want to be in charge of a router that was climb cutting - not so for a machine like this.

1 Like

Pretty much what @Tokoloshe said, maybe even slower, depending on how big your work area is. I would lower your F(z) speed, I run mine at 300mm/min(5mm/sec) and also the a(z+) at an angle less than 90 so that the mill eases into the stock. I use 30-45 degrees. With the high Z feed-rate and 90 degree plunge angle, you’re asking for kick-out.

1 Like

Thanks all.

I turned down the settings and cut again. Top is the new cut. No masking tape this time.

But I am unfortunately not 100% sure what the settings were. ESTLCAM appears to not always be really saving my cutting settings. I come back and loaded the file to double check and they are gone back to what they were before. Uhg. I think it is saving the settings with each project but I am not even sure that is consistent. It seems like the old file used “some” of my settings. So I guess we go to the G-Code. (FULL FILE ATTACHED)
sign_endmil_slower.gcode (38.5 KB)

The “Letters” cut out pretty well actually, but its very fuzzy. No masking tape this time.
;No. 1: Hole 1 #1
G00 X15.1832 Y15.3536 F2100
G00 Z0.5000 F480
G01 Z0.0000 F900 S19200
G01 X18.1832 Z-1.5000 F900
G01 X15.1832 Z-3.0000 F900
G01 X46.7964 F1800
G01 X46.5605 Y17.8936 F1800
G01 X23.4712 F1800

So it’s a feedrate of F900 and F1800
It doesn’t say the units.

Screenshot from 2023-01-15 15-53-04
Perhaps it did use the new settings. The profile cut seemed like it was going faster.

;No. 6: Profile
G00 X297.5576 Y-3.1750 Z2.0000 F2100
G00 Z0.5000 F480
G01 Z0.0000 F900
G03 X300.1307 Y-1.8600 Z-1.5000 I0.0000 J3.1750 F900
G02 X297.5576 Y-3.1750 Z-3.0000 I-2.5731 J1.8600 F900
G03 X300.7326 Y0.0000 I0.0000 J3.1750 F1800
G01 Y79.2261 F1800
G03 X297.5576 Y82.4011 I-3.1750 J0.0000 F1800

Hmm I guess it was an illusion. Maybe the wood on both sides of the bit made it struggle more. Looks like the same 1800 and 900 but it’s “ARCS” G02 & G03. Oh, I did not check the “DONT USE ARCS” feature when setting up ESTLCAM since a previous thread that is supposedly fixed now. Not sure if that matters.

Looks like crud but I am leaning towards this plywood just being too think and breaky. I’ll try some real wood. (and new settings) and start with a smaller test with only 1 letter and profile and try again.

Hi Rick,

I have no answers to most of your issues as you’re further along in your build than I am. However I can tell you that I use Onshape for my 3d modeling (used to use Fusion until I moved to Ubuntu and Fusion also stopped their free/hobby tier). I’m very happy with Onshape for 3d modeling. I don’t know its CAM capabilities yet but I know it supports that, so it may be worth a look. I will of course be investigating it shortly as well.

Best,
Matt

1 Like

Fusion 360 still has their free/personal tier. They did put additional limits on software for personal use about 15 months ago. I suspect they make getting it a bit convoluted to promote sales.

1 Like

Yep, I am using it on Ubuntu. Is challenging to renew the free license though

Re: f360. I did know there still was a free personal tier hidden somewhere, what I meant was the only download I could find would only let you choose biz or educator. And one you choose biz you can’t change your profile again. I searched and found a personal use page but the download goes to the same download. Which doesn’t work. I really hated the hole experience and I distrust companies that force us. Hence Linux.

Anyhow, out again. Pine this time. I know. Pine is a poor choice. Did pretty good except for some chipout.

After cut, with a chip on the right, and light sanding 220 with some glue. I mean it could work for a yard sign.

5 Likes

You have to manually save your tools in the upper left corner of the tool list. It goes back to the saved default every time, which is okay if you know it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Tokoloshe Thank you. I never even thought about clicking on the words “Tool List” I just thought it was a title not a “File” menu.

1 Like