LR3 - removable fixings for multi-purpose workbench?

Hi all,

So the workbench for my LR3 is built, just needs some sanding / finishing to ensure it’s as flat as possible and then sealing / weatherproofing.

i’m looking at how to mount the Y axis pole and the belt tensioners and thought of using something like threaded inserts with machine screws. (not sure if they have the same name across the pond, i’m in the uk, have included links below).

What have other people done? Can anyone think of any potential issues with this i might not have considered? what is the correct size? M4/M6?

I will be using a spoil board, i’ve not seen an image of one in use yet, so assume this ONLY sits under the cutting area and the pole / tensioners aren’t bolted down through it? (thinking length of machine screws)

M6 machine screws

Threaded inserts

thanks in advance,
Darren

I am planning to upgrade my LR2 to a 3, because one could use it as a large workbench (will post a draft soon), I have a similar idea like you, though I would only remove the belt when needed and not the rail.

I am considering to use impact nuts for the belt holder. This to easily remove and reinstall them, while keeping a flush table. Obviously I will need to check and possibly redesign the belt holder for it to work.

I will mount this to the actual table, and use a separate spoil board on top (between belt and rail) so I can replace that one easily. I imagine you could use the workbench as a spoil board, but that’s in my opinion not practical (I want to use a torsion box, and wouldn’t like to repair it very often).

I was thinking of something very similar. Given space constraints, I’m also looking at a table like the one @Mcunn designed:

Portable Lowrider in Annapolis

1 Like

I have my MPCNC Primo that I will be removing from it’s current (overbuilt!) table. I then want to use the torsion-box table for a LR3 build. I’ve been thinking about using 2.5 by 2.5 by 1/4 angle aluminum for side rails. I will extend them longer on one end to allow a drop space for some of my panel work. One down side is the cost for these larger rails: $70 for each 8 foot section and I need two. I’m making the Primo smaller and using it primarily for laser and vinyl work.

Mike

Check the price for unistrut/superstrut.

Barry,

Where should I look for the unistrut product? Do you have a link for online?

Mike

Lowe’s or home Depot carries it.

1 Like

Thanks!!