LR3 plasma cutter build in New Zealand

My thoughts as well!

Youll want to consider the “dead space” at the ends of the table where the torch can’t reach. Are you going to weld the rail tubes in place or will they be adjustable?

(Edit) Oh, I should also mention that it’s a good idea to have some curve in the slats. Reason being that when a cut is passing over the material and the slat at the same time it can throw off the thc voltage readings. If your slats are curved then the chances of some cut continuously following a slat are minimal vs if the slats were perfectly horizontal or vertical.

1 Like

Yep, planning on having a curve in the slats, just haven’t shown it in the model. The slats will sit into grooves cut in steel angle at each end and centre, will offset the grooves in centre to give curve which will also give a good friction fit to hold the slats but allow them to be easily removed.

At the moment the side rails extend 50mm in from each end of water table to give correct y length but I take your point about dead space, could probably keep rails at current length and reduce the length of water table and slats to just a bit longer than the actual useable travel of the core.

2 Likes

Here’s version 2 of my plasma table design

Very similar to previous design but have changed the orientation of 75x50 RHS so the rail support brackets fit better and tweaked other framing to suit this.

5 Likes

Looking good! Is there a center support for the water pan?

Yep, 50x50 RHS frame under perimeter and centre of water table.

My electronics will take up a lot more space than a Rambo or skr board so I’ll build an enclosure for them somewhere under the table.

2 Likes

Hey, just checking if you have any updates? I managed to my my LR3-based plasma rig up and running (finally) and I’m loving it!

Hi Doug

Unfortunately for my lowrider my business has developed in a different direction and all of my time and finance is taken up with trying to get the business off the ground. Definitely keen to get back to finishing the project up and running when I can devote some time to it.

I must have another good read if the forum to get inspired, I certainly enjoyed seeing what you were doing with your build as there aren’t many building the lowrider for a plasma cutter.

Pete

2 Likes