LR3 Mod, Y limit switch guard/fender

Posted to Printables and my V1 Mods repo.

Purpose / Problem
Protect your LR3’s Y limit switches.

The LR3 Y axis limit switches are proud and prone to being knocked when LR3 is being stored/relocated. Spring metal arms on the switches often fly out and are a PITA to find and reattach.

This guard is designed to protect the limit switch, while also being very easy to mount to the existing Y drive mount.

Created for my LR3 build after spring arms came off 3+ times.

Consider printing in PETG. Typically, PLA is brittle and less flexible.

Layer line orientation isn’t optimal wrt strength, but design seems good enough to me. Will mod if it fails next time the corner gets bashed when moving my LR3 between sled/table/dev-station. Maybe the suboptimal layer orientation makes this a good sacrificial part that’ll crumple and absorb kinetic energy rather than the main parts, no idea if this makes sense or is a baseless armchair engineering opinion? Thoughts/feedback appreciated…

Alternatives
See Limit switch arms, some folks (like @stevempotter) are happily using more robust hall effect switches (magnetic based) on their MPCNC. I’ve not seen hall effect mod for LR3 yet.

5 Likes

I see your LR3 Mod, Y limit switch guard, but also you have something there that looks like a “cow catcher” on a train. What’s that?

I also asked about that in another thread, it seems to be his secret. :sweat_smile:

LOL, been distracted with focused on trying to carve holograms with drag bits :slight_smile:

Made truck mud flap inspired chip plow. Embossed with PC PG rated person reading for juvenile giggles. Created out of frustration when I was chasing the LR3 with a Vac while surfacing the spoilboard. Without frequent vacuuming the wheels would end up riding over accumulated chips/dust. Not a big deal or a common problem.

Will share my secret dust flap on printables if anyone asks :slight_smile:

You should try my dust shoe. :yum:

Taking a look, somewhere in Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany ? Vaguely recall Ryan mentioning he might be modding the dust collector too, I might have gotten that wrong?

So most of your cutting area is a vacuum table right, effectively helping to pull dust onto areas not covered by Stock? Must be way more powerful Vac than my relatively cheap ~4HP shop vac from Home Depot.

Fancy! Looks great. I just slapped some clear tape around outside perimeter of my stock vac parts, mine looks janky, and crusty, since all the dust/chips stick to the exposed tape. It kinda works…