LR3 Mod, Mid Belt Y Tensioner block. Enables fast swap between big and little table

Hello!

Would be nice to enable even faster swapping of LR3 between a big (4’x8’‘) and little (2’x4’) table. Without making any mods, I could just use a paint sharpie to mark the belts in a couple of locations that are appropriate for each table. Then remove belt from the tensioner block side when switching between tables. For me, getting the belt position just right can be finicky.

I really appreciate the existing quick release design. Feel like I’m overly optimizing for an edge case here, but…

Am wondering if anyone’s created and printed a topless (or screw/clip capped) Y Tensioner block mod that can be attached and detached midway to the belt. Doing this would let you leave the big table’s Y Tensioner block always attached. You could then attach this modified topless Y tensioner block when mounting LR3 to your smaller every day table?

(20 sec clip)

Anyone done something similar? Don’t want to reinvent, also, don’t want to burn time fixing issues with my proof of concept if someone’s come up with a better solution already, e.g. 1) adjust internal belt channel closer to edge away from centered vertical bolt, 2) use peg/retainer instead of screw, fast access, etc…

Cheers!

1 Like

@ Builders with multiple tables… Posted Mid Belt Y Tensioner block mod to https://github.com/aaronse/v1engineering-mods/blob/main/lowrider3/y-tension-blocks

V1E LowRider 3 mod - Mid Belt Y Tensioner Block

Purpose

Enables fast swapping of LR3 between different sizes tables, e.g. big 4’x8’ and smaller 2’x4’ table.

Files

y_tension_block_rear.stl - Download, open in slicer, create mirrored cloned, slice and print both.

y_tension_block_rear.step - Not needed for printing. Included incase you want to modify this mod

Usage

Mod has top-bottom split Y tensioner blocks enabling clamping to middle of the belt. So, the original Y tensioner block can always remain attached towards end of the belt. Meanwhile the mid belt tensioner can be quickly added and removed.

Included both bottom and top models here, but I’m only using the bottom part in my build. Am using M5 30mm bolt with M5 wing nuts (see pic below). My print is tight enough to not need the top part, or wing nut even. Early days still, so maybe the PLA will loosen up over time since my LR3 lives in an unconditioned space exposed to hot-cold weather cycles. Will mount top part if/when I experience belt slipping out from the bottom part.

LR3’s existing quick release design is great, this block is only useful for folks wanting to mount their LR3 to different sized tables/surfaces.

WARNING: Closely inspect and watch for whether belt is being damaged/worn by the mount, ensure your parts printed cleanly, and/or you did post print clean up to ensure Mid Belt isn’t damaged in a way that compromises usage on your full size table.

See Also

Cheers!

2 Likes

Cool

EDIT: i figured out how to import it as a step file in fusion then exported it as .3mf in the two pieces it was designed

should this stl import in 2 pieces like the video, it only impots as one but it looks like it has lines where it should split.

Ugh. Sorry @Cwcb08, I should have uploaded a clearer better set of files.

Unable to edit the original post above, so am pasting an updated version here…

V1E LowRider 3 mod - Mid Belt Y Tensioner Block

Posted to Printables and V1Engineering forum discussion.

Purpose

Enables fast swapping of LR3 between different sizes tables, e.g. big 4’x8’ and smaller 2’x4’ table.

Files

Usage

Mod has top-bottom split Y tensioner blocks enabling clamping to middle of the belt. So, the original Y tensioner block can always remain attached towards end of the belt. Meanwhile the mid belt tensioner can be quickly added and removed. I use wing nuts on my Mid Belt tensioner, ensure your your wiring isn’t loose and snags on wing nutes if you decide to use them too.

Included both bottom and top models here, but I’m only using the bottom part in my build (see my Make pic(s)). Am using M5 30mm bolt with M5 wing nuts (see pic below). My print is tight enough to not need the top part, or wing nut even. Early days still, so maybe the PLA will loosen up over time since my LR3 lives in an unconditioned space exposed to hot-cold weather cycles. Will mount top part if/when I experience belt slipping out from the bottom part.

Existing quick release design is great, this block is only useful for folks wanting to mount their LR3 to different sized tables/surfaces.

Hope that helps, cheers!

2 Likes

Printing and i am going to probably use these, thanks!

1 Like

@Autonomous made some nice belt holders/tensioners too. If you haven’t already, consider checking those out incase they’re a better option for your build.

Cheers!

1 Like