LR3 in MN

I’m just getting going on my build here in Southern MN as it’s a good project for the winter :slight_smile:
I’m most of the way done with my 3D prints so I don’t have much to show quite yet but I’m getting pretty excited to start the project.
I’ve got an MPCNC Burly that I will eventually be decommissioning and using as much as I can hardware wise but I’m going to use it to mill out some of the parts first before I take it apart. I built the Burly as a Covid lockdown project only to have the Primo come out about a month after I completed it but I’m not bitter. The main problem with my Burly build is that I made it 48x48 so it’s too big and I just used EMT for the tubing so it really flexes too much for what I’d like to do. Even with that, I’ve been able to make a few fun signs and my daughter used it for a 4H project and did really well with it.
Well, enough babbling for now. I’ll post pics when I start putting things together, I just wanted to throw this on the forum so I’d have a spot :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think you will find it to be a significant change in rigidity at that size! Even though it is built to be big though smaller is faster even in the LR3!

1 Like

@vicious1, My initial idea on size is to have a 49" working space for full width MDF but my main table top will be 48-ish inches long. My “nerd room” in my house where I have my CNC and 3D Printers is in the back-corner of the basement and it would be hard to get a full MDF sheet down there. However, if I ever get around to doing full MDF cuts, I’ll build another table in the garage. Then, I can move the LW3 up to the garage’s bigger table and mill it out there. That’s my initial short-term/long-term thinking and why I’m making the X space 49" wide.
I agree that bigger is slower but I tend to mill on the slow side in general. If I ever get to needing to do quicker turnarounds on smaller parts, then I’ll probably make another smaller CNC for those types of jobs. I just don’t want to be hamstrung by my current build. Does that make sense or am I missing something important?

2 Likes

No that works. Just have a good think about it. Have you ever, will you ever cut anything that big?

Faster can also mean easier to do CAM, wider range of good parameters. Over the years a lot of people say how convenient it is not to cut a full sheet, but for me I actually hate dealing with full sheets. My 1/4 sheet builds have served me well over the years…but I also do not make super large projects.

If you plan on or will use a full build your plan is great.

1 Like

I too am kinda in your shoes. But I think you got mixed up. The burly was the older version the primo is the latest iirc.
Have you thought about keeping the mpcnc just down size it to its nominal size.
And from what I have read/gathered is the LR3 can be someone portable. Or at least be removed etc. I am about at the same stage as you too just have the printed bits and tubing.
Looking forward to seeing your progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, you’re right, I fixed the original post :slight_smile:

I’ve thought about keeping the Burly and making it smaller but I don’t have the space for both right now and more importantly, I’m trying to keep the costs down so I need to reuse as much as I can. I’ll still keep the conduit and 3D printed parts in case I want to build it again.

Yeah it sounds like we’re pretty comparable. I hope you post pics of your build too!

2 Likes

I’ve got everything printed I think. I’m hoping to get the conduit this week and get to some assembly.

5 Likes