LR3 Core Printing on Ender3 V2 Help

I will start by saying I’m relatively new to 3D Printing. I bought an Ender 3 V2 to print the parts for my LR3. I have everything printed except the Core. After 3 failed prints at close to 80% being complete, I’ve decided it’s time to get help.

1st print failed because I tried something silly and printed it on its end. And it lost bed adhesion and fell over. 2nd and 3rd failed prints I used the correct orientation, but the supports fell over causing it to print over nothing. And the strings built up on the print and caused the print head to hit the print and moved the magnetic print base causing it to fail.

So my question is what settings are everyone using to print their Core?

I was using the default .28mm layer height. 200C print at the print head and 55C print bed at about 60mm print speed. I used Cura to slice with supports everywhere and zigzag pattern. Also no extra build plate adhesion or brim.

Can I print with no supports in the default orientation? or should I use a brim to help the supports stay on the print bed and not fall over?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes. Amazingly, all of Ryan’s parts can be printed that way. No supports and don’t change the orientation.

I like to add a brim on any long prints. I never liked the raft. But a brim is cheap insurance.

I don’t know much about the ender 3v2 (I’ve heard of it, but don’t know the details). Is your first layer a good thickness? What surface are you printing on?

As long as you get a good first layer, and it isn’t warping/lifting while you are printing, it should print fine. If all else fails, print slower. Slower always increases quality and reliability. Pictures can also help us diagnose some stuff. There are a lot of expert printers here, and they will each probably give you some useful (but probably contradictory :slight_smile: ) advice.

At some point, @Ryan was selling cores for the primo, IIRC. If you really can’t get it, you could ask if he could print just the LR3 core for you.

3 Likes

Hello,

I was using Stronghold PLA with nozzle temp at 195C and bed temp 50C. I made the calibration-testa in Cura app. (Youtube it)

0.2 layer height
60mm print speed
No adhesion, just the ender 3 v2 ”textured” surface up.
No supports

38h ish print that came out really good. Very long print, but it was worth it.

With my low experience in 3dprinting I would suggest to make calibrationtest for nozzle- and bedtemp and then first layer calibration. Find out what temp works best for your PLA and make sure your bed is level.

Shared my Cura settings and 3D printing resources that helped me in Purple-black-rainbow LR3 🤷‍♂️ , build video @ https://youtu.be/FJ7nYio8oOE - #9 by azab2c

Also…

I used no supports or brim on my ender 3 pro printed beautifully in the default slicing position.

Perhaps you could try adhesive? And slow down the speed?

When I did the print for the core I used a brim, to get more surface area, as some have stated above. I also used a shot of hair spray. I did most of my printing on a Ender 3 S1 Pro and I found that with the factory bed I need to use a quick shot of hair spray in the area that I will be printing on. If I forgot it the job breaks free usually. Nothing crazy and no need for a thick layer, but that quick shot of hair spray helped the job stay stuck the entire time.

I was lucky I think and I got my core printed on the first go. I used the default layout for the part and no supports. It took something like 34 or 36 hours to print if I remember correctly and was I puckered up the entire time hoping it would work.