LR2 Stalled during operation

Why did my LR2 stop in the middle of an operation?

Things were moving along swell, but then I noticed that the gantry was not moving anymore. I look under the plate and sure enough, nothing happening. The LCD screen is blank and not responsive to stimulus - scrolling the knob, depressing the knob to click the function. Nothing.

This has happened once or twice before, but on silly items that I could reset and try again. But this is in the middle of a finish piece for my daughter’s birthday soon. I don’t have time or material available to just do it again. Especially not if it is going to stall on me again. I’ll just go down to the hobby lobby and buy a dumb sign. This almost has me in such a mood I’m about to chuck this whole machine into the garbage! What’s the point of this if I’m too dumb to overcome such issues?

Ok, the project: V-Carve sign making. Tool: 60 degree V-Bit. Movement: 20mm/s/20k RPM/3.5mm depth per cut. I have Estlcam (paid license) and Marlin running on Archim 1.0a. 30 minutes into a 47 minute path run, done.

Here’s where it stopped. I manually raised the V-Bit up off the board incase the machine started back up. I am cutting through tape so I can preserve the color on the surface of the piece.

Is it the printed circuit board heating up too much to cause the pause? Overheating? It’s fairly cool in my shop today. I can’t imagine it being an overheating issue.

The next question is, how do I go into the G-code and locate where it is in the process and delete the completed stuff to pick up where it left off?

Great inspiring sign to make for your kid.

Ugh, sorry to hear about this. Had repetier jobs pause on me before when USB cable was knocked/yanked.

Does the existing gcode start with G90 absolute positioning? If so… Could maybe copy paste the gcode into something like https://ncviewer.com, when you click around on the rendered travel lines the text area will scroll to the associated gcode line, neat and kinda useful in a situation like this.

Also, probably easier even… Estlcam seems to generate a comment line before each cut/carve e.g. ;No. 2: some name, could maybe figure out which cut to search for by looking at Estlcam’s preview feature.

IF you go down this path, strongly recommend testing your modified gcode on some scrap piece(s) first.

Guessing you already know that the first few lines of a gcode script probably set things like absolute or relative motion and such? So they may need to be copied over to your new file.

I’d hate for info I’m sharing here to cause a frustrating situation be even worse for you. Hopefully someone will chime in if I’m giving bad/wrong advice :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Well, I opened the Gcode up in Repetier and player around with it a little. Started to see where the path was going and scrubbed out almost all that got cut so far. I couldn’t turn it back up to where I left off, so I risked re-zero (which I don’t have a set zero for my table - I’ll sort that out another day) so I placed it back on where it was zero from the off.
Not Abad punt!
[Uploading: 16762356606048689372345033495759.jpg…I’ll need to do some hand carving to clean up the .08mm off I was, but other than that, a decent recovery!

1 Like

You can just click the object in Estlcam (Shift and Left click) and it will jump to that line in the code.

1 Like