Lowrider2 - router carriage with quick release mod

I don’t apply anything special. Just a little sanding and a little danish oil.
I’m happy that the multiplex wood here in Germany has quite thick layers :slight_smile:

1 Like

More to follow, but I’m finally getting parts cut out for my plate/sled. I found a handy 23.5 mm thick priece of polycarb to attempt the first plate lower. I’ll probably stop there tonight. Then get into the upper plate and lock handle and see if I can get into the stretch tomorrow!

1 Like

Completed. Could probably recut the lock handle, I’ll learn this as I play with this. But X movement doing great. Here’s some shots of the final. I think this looks chic!

I extended the top plate out and around the vacuum connection for future laser sled attachment.
With the thick edge on the bottom plate, I should be able to put some Velcro strips for the dust boot. I need to set up the stops yet. But the bottom plate has some extra meat to attach there.
With this spindle, I’ll be able to use the 1/16" tip bits now. Totally geeked about getting my sign carving going!

6 Likes

Looks really solid and very cool with that acrylic :ok_hand:

1 Like

Now I need to mount the stop switches. Hmmm…

So I’ve done a few cuts since I made this - it’s definitely nice to sort of see thru and below the base plate. I’ve now got some CA glue in my shop materials stock and if this ever breaks apart I’ll have the good stuff to weld it back together better.
My issue is the top locking bracket. I have to really wrench on it to tighten down on the spindle. I wonder if filing the wood “crotch” further/thinner toward the center opening would allow the finger to flex a little easier making the fingers snug up to the spindle better? Or should I try to glue on some 220 sand paper on the inside edge of the fingers? Maybe a little grit to grab the smooth sides of the spindle?

2 Likes