Lowrider2 --> Primo?

Hello!

I’ve been away from the forum for a while. I built a Lowrider2 about a year ago. My main use for the CNC is guitar making. I have had some drifting issues with my LR2. I have followed the LR3 launch and find the one-rail solution fantastic. However, instead of starting the conversion to LR3 i have been thinking about going the Primo route.

I need a work area of 400mm x 950mm.

I have an enclosure built which i need to use as well. So maybe a Primo would be easier in that regard?

Would Primo be a good alternative for me?

Is your LR2 already at that size?

My first thought is that you should fix the LR2. It is a great machine. The primo is great too, but it seems like a waste to completely swap it.

Yes you have a point of course. Would a primo give extra stability compared with Lr2? I’ve started to construct my own take of a one rail system on the LR2. But it takes up some of my precious work area.

If your main interest is in building guitars and not playing with cnc machines I agree!

There’s been no discussion on enclosures for the LR3 that I’ve seen thus far which is a shame because it’s now a simple thing to do.

Because the LR3 (and Primo) does not overhang the table - it’s larger footprint will (should) fit within your existing enclosure - If you extend the surface of the table out as far as the enclosure you won’t be encroaching on your work area and you should have enough room for the LR3 if that’s the route you want to take.

1 Like

At a smaller size, yes. But the rule of thumb had been that the crossover point is about 24"x24". Your size is sorry of stealing that line.

But that question doesn’t capture the whole story. Making a second machine is going to take considerable cost. But also, if you have even a big difference like 20%. Would it matter to you? The LR2 should be very valuable at that size. Maybe the primo can handle a little faster or one extra mistake. But the lr2 should be able to get the job done (and well).

I had my LR1 on a flat table. All I did to constrain it was to nail down a 3/4" strip inside the wheels on both sides. I used the gantry itself to set the spacing. I didn’t want it tight, just touching.

Since you’re considering scrapping it, just give it a shot. Don’t overthink it. If you’re still having problems, post the pics, share what you’ve tried and what you are going to see. One (or several) of us will come up with some suggestions on what to try next.

I do think the rail Ryan made for the LR3 had some advantages. I think designing something similar for the LR2 could be beneficial. But it is a problem we have solved before.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input. I will indeed try to optimize the LR2 before doing anything else. The LR2 is more than enough for my guitar making hobby.

Excited to see your LR3 builds though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At this point I will wish you a long life - you are going to need it if you are going to see my build! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I am interested in doing that, too. Could you give me some pointers? How do you do it?

1 Like

Ok, sounds great! I’m in the very early stages of this. My plan is to convert my ideas into CAD. I use Rhino for this. If you haven’t done that before, start there. It takes some time to learn that process. After that I plan to mill bodies and necks. There are plenty of examples on YouTube, although not using Lowriders.

There is a guy here on the forum who does this using a primo I believe. Give the forum a search.

If you do any breakthroughs I would be happy to learn from them as well.