Lowrider v3 vibration

I currently have most items ordered for my lowrider v3 so I am patiently waiting for those to arrive. In the meantime I am planning the enclosure for the CNC.

For 3D printers, rubber tiles remove pretty much all of the vibrations and reduces noise significantly. Does this apply to CNCs too?

The idea would be a sheet of plywood at the bottom, a layer of rubber tiles and then another sheet of plywood on top where the lowrider is attached too. Would this do anything or is that not worth it? The walls and roof of the enclosure will have foam attached.

1 Like

The most noise will be the router cutting wood, any other sound will diminish compared to that. :smiley:

I understand. But the spindle makes a sound that you can somewhat trap or at least reduce, right?

With 3D printers I noticed that the fans and stepper motors are louder than the vibrations when you stand next to it. Being in the next room, I no longer hear the fans or steppers but I do hear the very low pitched vibrations.

So I was wondering if the lowrider generates sounds like that?

None that you’d hear. When I am out in the garden I can hear my vacuum and the spindle, nothing else.

1 Like

plywood at the bottom, a layer of rubber tiles and then another sheet of plywood

I doubt this would make any difference. As Phillipp mentions, most of the noise comes from either the router, or from the cutting. Using a spindle instead of a router for the cutting does make a significant difference in the router noise, but spindles comparable to the common routers used on these machines are significantly more expensive than the routers. Also, I would shy away from using anything soft, like rubber, supporting a surface you need to be rigid.

The walls and roof of the enclosure will have foam attached.

I built my enclosure for my Primo and used foam board in an attempt to deaden the sound. IMO, the foam didn’t do well to deaden the frequencies produced by router and cutting. In addition, the foam traps heat, and on a hot day when running jobs, my enclosure was hot enough to warp a couple of the plastic parts.

I recently decided to replace the foam with acoustic panels. I purchased these, but have not installed them yet. I’m waiting for a bit warmer weather for gluing. I’ve also seen YouTub videos on DIY solutions. I used the idea of fabric outlined in this video when I made an enclosure for my air pump (air assist for the laser).

The real DIY, poor drummer’s acoustic panels are egg trays. They diffuse the sound pretty well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The panels you linked are similar to the ones I will get. That’s what I meant by foam panels. Out of curiosity, what did you think I meant?

Thanks for the tip! I see how a rubber layer could reduce rigidity. Definitely skipping that then!

My house is attached to a neighbor on one side and I am trying to take that into consideration. There are thick walls in between but I want to reduce the noise as much as possible anyway.

I imagine that might hurt, having a whole CNC screwed to you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jokes aside: just cover that wall with the acoustic panels.

1 Like

Butchering a language one day at a time, woops!

Out of curiosity, what did you think I meant?

Often when “foam” is mentioned on this forum, they are referring to foam board like this. Foam board is currently what I have installed in my enclosure, and I’ve seen other posts where people are using foam board (or are planning to use foam board) in their enclosures.