Lowrider 3D printed parts with 1.0 nozzle

Hello all!

I am looking into building the Lowrider CNC machine. I am about to 3D print the parts. However, there is not much information regarding nozzle size, I mostly 3D print with 0.8 and 1.0 mm nozzles. In the instructions, it is suggested to use 2-3 walls and %20-30 infill. I assume these settings are for a standard 0.4 nozzle, but if I use a bigger one, I guess I can reduce the wall count and infill %. Has anybody used this nozzle size and if so, what tweaks would you suggest me to use on the model to get a similar use of material as with a standard size nozzle? Or is it better to print with a smaller nozzle due to the parts design?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @etore, welcome!

Seen a few people successfully use 0.6mm nozzle, myself included. Don’t remember seeing larger nozzles used, would be interesting to learn about the largest nozzle people managed to use. Slicer improvements in Cura 5+ (and some other slicers) added dynamically vary extrusion width, which should help pull off details with larger nozzles, but you may want to keep layer height relatively low compared to the normal value of 80%. Glad I did bunch of max reliable extrusion tests, also dimension and extrusion calibration cube tests before printing parts. The LR3 parts have some tight tolerances, everything connected great except for one part where the belt retaining slot was too loose.

Consider myself a 3D printing novice, but here’s the settings that worked for me…

Look forward to learning from your build. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Aaron!

Thanks for sharing all those details! Your build looks amazing. I think I will go for the print with a 0.6 nozzle. At this stage, I want to go for a proven printing method, I was afraid that using 1.0 nozzle would cause problems with tolerances, I usually print in vase mode where this type of nozzle is more useful. Will start printing today and hopefully can share my build soon!

2 Likes

I did all mine with a .8 nozzle using super slicer, 2 walls 31% infill on my BIQU B1 SE Plus. So far assembly has gone pretty good, I haven’t tried any ziptie holes yet tho…

2 Likes