Lowrider 3 Z travel and working height

Good morning,

Just a quick question, I am in the process of procuring parts for the lowrider 3 build. Just need clarity on the actual work height (Z). Need to be able to fit a stock piece of 75mm (3 inches) under the end mill.

Will this be possible with the LW3?

Thanks in advance

Hello @ruankruger33, already seen Material thickness LR3 - #3 by vicious1

Do you need to cut full 75mm depth, or just the top portion? What kind of stock material do you need to cut, soft/hard? Have seen folks modify YZ plates to build taller LR3s, but they’re usually cutting foam or softer materials where the reduced rigidity of a taller LR3 isn’t an issue. You’ll need to find the right balance of height, feedrate, rigidity, material hardness and acceptable quality for your project(s).

Have seen people drop the cutting area to increase overall height capacity, or, achieve the same result by raising/packing height of the y-axis rails to be able to cut tall stock, while still maximizing LR3 rigidity by having cuts be as close to Min Z as possible. Building an LR3 with removable side rails, and/or height adjustable y-axis rails can help open up your options.

Hope that helps, cheers!

2 Likes

Ruan,

Welcome to the forum. You’re beginning quite an adventure.

The answer to your question is “it depends”.

The factors are, what kind of router, how high in the tool mount you place it, how long is your end mill, how long do you want to make your Z axis drive screws, will you be using a drop table (a portion of your build surface that can be lowered to accommodate a larger work piece).

The challenge, with any of the DIY machines, is that you get to choose what a lot of the dimensions will be. While the documentation shows one “standard” size, in reality almost every machine is adjusted to meet the needs of the builder.

You might want to very clearly define the milling volume you need and then use the calculator to see what the dimensions would be.

https://docs.v1e.com/lowrider/calculator/

Then you can bring that to the forum and get ideas and suggestions form the community.

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply,

So no stock piece (hardwoods) will be 75mm. Cut depth would only be around 30mm.

The complete CNC will also only be 1200x1200.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike,

Will be using the Makita for time being. I have sourced som local 1/4” carbide cutters for the 30mm depth of cut needed.

Like mentioned my stock is 75mm and depth of cut around 30mm.

Currently I am planning on using the standard Z length Z screws. If this is not sufficient and needs to be longer I would have to do so.

Think my actual question is then would the standard LW3 be able to accomplish the heights?

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the conversation, I think I will find my answer or already have :joy::joy:.

Thanks

1 Like

You’re welcome. Another drop table related discussion at Purple-black-rainbow LR3 🤷‍♂️ , build video @ https://youtu.be/FJ7nYio8oOE - #32 by vicious1 cheers!