LowRider 3 CNC, LR3 Release notes

I can make an OpenSCAD model, but I don’t want to take away from someone else’s work if there is already a preferred path.

2 Likes

Agreed, I wouldn’t step on someone else’ work… But I do see a few things that might be helpful and when I get around to building I’ll share anything I find useful.

Just debating whether or not to learn F360 or stick with OpenSCAD.

You can upload them, but they don’t parameterize them automatically like that other crappy website does, so people need to have OpenSCAD to customize.

3 Likes

I haven’t gone into OpenSCAD but this would probably be a good learning project for me, since everything in this is math based. It should be reasonably easy to do. (I did this as a self-tutorial in using parameters to define a sketch.)

Probably easier to stick with what you know, until there’s a really good reason to switch., The Repeat printer is pretty cool, and one of the big pushes for me to start using Fusion360

1 Like

You can link to the source file - the link turns up as a teeny little link below the downloads.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve got a solution that matches Ryan’s design basically perfectly, except that I decided not to reproduce the branding symbol, since I thought that might be poor taste.

Grey transparent is the original, yellow is my model.

I have 1400mm with 8 struts and 790mm with 6 struts. I’ll make increments of 100mm I guess, and if some other size is desired, like a 3 foot machine, then we can add that.

https://www.printables.com/model/206716-lr3-strut-plate-variable

Optical illusion makes it look bent…

9 Likes

When you say you prefer thicker layers how thick would you recommend? I used 0.2mm on my Ender3 for my LR2

1 Like

What do people do for their table surface? I can’t get a sheet of ply to match the dimensions so I’m guessing a join to make it all fit?

1 Like

Ryan, team…
Thanks for the Strut Plate files.

I’ll bling them up a bit, needs some logos

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but are the linear rails being stocked in the store?

That’s all I’m getting on the parts list, and can’t see it in the store…

My bad, thought Y rail was the same diameter than X axis tubes.
US 1/2" EMT cannot be found easily in Europe for common people, if i’m correct US 1/2" EMT OD is 17,93mm right ?
if so the closest and simplest iron tube we can source here is 18mm OD.

2 Likes

Yes, same here. I was planning to mill them using 1/4" 6061 T6 but cannot find the DXF for it, just the 3MF for 3D printing. @vicious1, could you please upload the DXF for us willing to mill this part.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, i found this in Holland

IMHO, the plates should scale pretty well for precise measurements. If we have a bunch of sizes that are close, then that should be enough. People just grab the nearest size and scale it before cutting. The screw holes are the biggest issue.

2 Likes

Ryan will have to check the CAD. But that seems like a good fit.

Is 18mm as standard as 25mm? Or is it like M3.5, where it exists but is rare?

Yes it is quite standard, you can find chromed wardrobe bar up to 2 meters in 25mm and 18mm in any serious hardware store.
Common plumbing copper pipe exists in 4meters ID 16mm OD 18mm but maybe to much soft…

For 3 or 4 meters in iron you need to shop it online to steel suppliers, it is about 17€ for 3 meters + 19€ shipment fees :confused:

1 Like

Oh! It did not even occur to me that they could just be stretched!

That should work pretty well then!

1 Like

1 Like

I will be posting the CAD/Fusion360 files so minor edits are easy. Scaling the small one up or the long one up or down is pretty easy. Adding braces is easy, but it messes with the cutouts a bit, but lots of options this way.

I can post a bunch of different sizes as the need comes up.

75-80% nozzle diamter.

Not yet waiting for my shipment.

It can be just needs to be 18.1mm-25.4mm let me know what you want I can make an 18mm if that is inexpensive for you (and kinda smooth).

Yes, scheduled for today ASAP.

17 is a bit small what is the next size up?

1 Like