Looking to build, based in New Zealand

Hey I’m from New Zealand too and I saw that you say you got 25.4 x3mm thick pipes. Do you mean to say that the pipe wall is 3mm thick, or is it 1.5mm thick. Eg is the ID 22.4, or is it 19.4? I’m confused with terminology, and I can’t seem to find any pipe that has 3mm thick walls, that is 25.4mm od 19.4 id. Am I correctly assuming that you mean you got 25.4x1.5mm pipe?

And I take it you got the seamless tube from Steel and Tube

I just used this from Mitre 10 for my LR3 build
https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/metal-mate-galvanised-steel-round-tube-25-4-x-1-2mm-x-1m/p/213049

2 of 1m lengths for the gantry and 2.4m for the Y rail

It is probably on the limit wall thickness-wise, I would have looked for thicker if going wider than 1m

(For an earlier LR2 build I used stainless tube, but should not be necessary for LR3)

Interesting. Yea I saw that as first result and I thought 1.2mm thick meant wall thickness of 0.6mm, ig mitre 10 might be the way to go then but it seems a bit expensive, can buy a 26mmx2.2mm pipe for 30$ for 6m galv, but it’s 26mm lol. Thank you

For me it was the exact length I needed saved cutting/paying someone to cut (I have not replaced all my tools yet after the garage fire :frowning: )

Gee sorry to hear about that. The places I’m looking at offer cuts, steel and tube is 3$ a cut, sdalu is 11.5$ a cut…

Steel and tube charge 50nzd per m for stainless tube 25.4mm x 1.63mm (1x16SWG) 316L 6.000 1.00 ea 48.0000 m
Seamless CD BA Stainless Steel
Tube ASTM A269/A213
S116ST6 and 30nzd for their hygienic tubes. General Purpose Tube | The Metal Company charges 20nzd for their ornamental tube.
Stainless ornamental tube is 14nzd a meter and steel and tube though. I didn’t realise cost would differ so much between diff standards

Industrial Tube in Hamilton have 25.4mm x 2.0mm 304 Stainless in what I believe is ‘cosmetic blemish’ form. It’s a reject product from their hygienic tube line and has good specs for dimensional tolerance, roundness and straightness. Someone here got a quote for $13.50/m + GST for it, I believe, so similar price to ornamental tube but way, way stiffer.

Oh? How long ago was that?
Yes, we have the A554 Architectural grade tube available in stock. How many metres of tube are you after?

2.0x25.4 Rnd 304L Stainless Arch Tube (SSARC304L025.40R2.0-AWBP) - $13.34/m + GST

I’m confused, are you pasting a response or are you selling this?

This was maybe a month ago?

Sorry I meant to say, I emailed them they still have it. That’s their reply

1 Like

Ah, all good. That will be at least 3 LR3s, maybe 4 that are made from that exact tube, then.

I wonder if they’re confused about what the heck is going on!

It was me!
Industrial Tube in Hamilton sold me a 6m length of 2.0 x 25.4 Rnd 304L Stainless Arch Tube (AWBP) rough cut at 3 x 2m at $13.34 per meter ($80.04 total excluding GST and freight)
I saved freight by collecting it myself last Friday.

Note: Originally they kept quoting to precision cut it, but I adjusted my Primo table size so I could make it from a single 6m length and worked out I could cut all the pieces out of three 2m pieces. So by getting it rough cut (so I could fit it in my car) and collecting it I got it as cheap as possible.

I’m in the process of cutting them up while the printer is working overtime.

Good Luck!

2 Likes

I didn’t end up buying the arch tube, because didn’t really need a cnc yet at the time. Now I’m considering it again and have found a better source.

6m for 35$! 25x2mm galv tube. That’s 6 dollars a meter! And add that to buying a second hand trim router off trademe and the mpcnc will be like 100 nzd…

That’s the closest to us pricing well ever get, given mpcnc instructions said 6’ is 12usd.

2 Likes

That’s a great option! Let us know how you get on.