Laser only version of marlin 2.1.1

I’m building a purpose built laser using marlin 2.1.1 on a Ramps 1.6. so far I can control everything but I get temp or heater err message on the LCD. I would like to disable anything that is not specific to laser operation. Seems like there is just unnecessary overhead in the firmware.
Any suggestions?

You are never going to strip it all the way down, what you really want to do is minimize the edits needed to make it work so updates are easy. Stripping it down will not gain you as much as you would think.

Extrurders=0 gets you where you want to be. I can say if you are going laser only grbl is a better choice, it is far faster with raster etching something like 24mm/s vs 100mm/s in my testing. No big difference in vector stuff but huge in raster. There should be a grbl branch ready for a ramps board. Fluidnc is also another contender.

Makes sense Ryan. I’ll do that first and then explore lasergrbl. I have an Arduino uno setup with laser grbl with new stepper drivers. Maybe I’ll just convert to that. Thanks for the input.