Is this a tool or a toy?

There’s a section in the forum of things people have made, have a look and you’ll see it’s far beyond the ‘toy’ stage of development.

2 Likes

It might have a steep learning curve if you’re not used to electronics and mechanics, but it sure finds its use as a tool quite fast. Then again, everything depends on what you expect from it - then you’d have to build and spec it accordingly.

An example: I was impressed with the ease of making circular pieces to reinforce a vacuum bucket. Quite precise to the measurements and less hassle than putting a router string/rig to do the same.

1 Like

It is effectively a DIY CNC machine, so there will be a certain amount of tinkering involved. How much depends on how far you want/are willing/feel compelled to stray from the “default” build, and if you are going to source the electronics from @vicious1 or on your own.

It also means that it won’t have gone through any quality control as a complete system, so it will have to go through a fairly significant setup to get everything square and straight. But most builds tend to stay square for a long time, once they’ve been trued up. It’s not something you’ll have to do all the time. And this forum (and from what I hear, even the Facebook page) is a font of knowledge and support.

Think of this: you’ll have to go through at least some setup and dialing-in of the settings of your printer when you get it, or you won’t get quality prints. You may get decent prints out of the box, but for structural pieces (like, say for a CNC machine), you’ll need a printer that can print square, consistent, and accurate pieces.

There are lots of machines out there whose owners never needed (or at least never asked for) help, and plenty of folks who have been helped by the wonderful and knowledgeable folk who slum around here. Even those who never spent a dime with Ryan, and even a few who don’t even have an MPCNC, or any other V1 designed machine.

Yes, it’s a tool. For some, it’s their toy. If you’re looking to do large production runs of, well, anything, or if you expect to put it together before lunch, and be making inlays and complex joinery by dinner, this probably isn’t the machine for you. But if you’re looking for something to add a new weapon to your arsenal, learn some new skills, and explore some new techniques, this is a perfect machine.

5 Likes

And from the philosophy department: what tool is not a toy? :nerd_face:

8 Likes

Think of it like this: if I use my kid’s plastic hammer to put a nail in a wall…it’s a tool, it did the job. Can it do all the things a hardened steel hammer can do? No.

The mpcnc is not exactly a plastic hammer…but it also isn’t a Haas mill. It means you will have to cut slower and shallower than the Haas, and you won’t get .0001"s accuracy. But this thing can cut metal to within a few .001"s (I just did so last night), and there aren’t many toys that can do that!

2 Likes

Well, a toy should bring happiness and I’ve worked for a coupla tools who brought no joy at all to the table.

3 Likes

Those tools belong in the fuckit bucket.

1 Like

Greetings Kevin. Welcome to the Forum,

Your tool or toy question is an interesting and somewhat challenging one.

Obviously, this is not a tool you take out of the box plug in and just use. It’s not like a jigsaw or sander. No CNC really is. But in this case building the machine is a project in itself. How much “tweeking, tinkering, and putzing” is required will be determined by the choices made while building it and the care with which it is assembled.

For best results your 3d printer will probably require some “tweeking” to produce accurately scaled parts that are “square” in 3 dimensions. The build involves mechanical, electrical, and electronic aspects, all of which offer potential challenges.

Ryan offers kits which include all the required hardware, wiring, and pre-programmed electronics. This is by far the path of least resistance, and definitely the best road to take for someone just looking for a tool to use.

Are you at all familiar with CAD/CAM software? A CNC does nothing by itself, of course, it requires instructions. The CAD/CAM aspect offers a steep learning curve itself.

Speaking strictly to the capabilities of the machine, the Gallery is indeed a good place to start appreciating its abilities, as is the Things You’ve Made category here in the Forum. Here are some of my own projects. I’ll probably be adding something to that list later today. My output is probably not up to the standard of a good avid woodworker, but that’s due to my own shortcomings, not the machines.

While there those making money with their MPCNC, it is not a production machine, and you shouldn’t expect production level output. To be hones, If you’re strictly serious about not “tweeking” the machine, something like a shapeoko might be a better option, but I think the MPCNC is capable of making anything the shapeoko can.

Hate to break it to you, but all cnc machines require putzing around to get right.

2 Likes

I’d liken the machine to an artist’s brush, not everyone who wields it can paint a Van Gogh but the brush is certainly capable of it.

3 Likes

As others have said – learning the CAD/CAM aspects are the largest part of making any CNC machine a tool. I have built an MPCNC and there is a fair amount of tweaking to get things “square”. After that it seems to be fine. While I’ve never built the LowRider – it looks to me to be a better alternative if you’re looking to minimize the putzing factor. If you’re a primarily a wood worker this may be a better alternative as it would give you the ability to handle full sheets of plywood if you have the space.

What’s the difference in building a workbench and buying a workbench?

I make monies cutting custom game boards. I don’t live off this machine but it has paid for itself many times. That is how I use it it is not a toy to me but i don’t run it 246/7 it won’t do what a 10,000 dollar machine but it keeps me in beer and Pork and electronics. There are people here who do a lot more and some it think that just like to putz. It does more that most of us want or need it just depends on what you call a toy and what you need it to do, The hard part is the CAM and CAD and getting used to the machine.

1 Like

Thanks for all the great reply guys. I really do appreciate it. I get that if I’m going to build this I should go with Ryan’s kits and I planned on it. But I want to print the parts. I have a better understanding of the initial set up of a 3d Printer and the tweaking and adjusting to get it accurate. I guess that’s what I meant with the CNC too… If I’m tedious in the assembly of it and make sure it’s as precise as I’m capable of doing will it remain set that way or does it fall out of calibration on a regular basis.

I have a vast knowledge of AutoCAD so the cad side of things is covered. 3d and 2d.

I want to use the CNC to do inlays on projects. Cut out precise shapes or repetitive shapes and V carving. I have no production plans only personal creativity use.

Is it better to print this in ABS or is PLA enough? I noticed Ryan is coming out with a new version. Anyone know when the STL files will be available?

I forgot to mention I also like the idea of attaching a laser to it and doing some laser engraving.

1 Like

I haven’t attached a laser to the MPCNC i have a separate one that i use but haven’t found a mount that i like for the machine yet

It seems this is the crux of the issue then.

Others have had their machines running much longer than the 6 months I’ve had my Lowrider, but I can say that once I’d overcome the initial teething troubles, my Lowrider has just worked.

I’ve had only one issue, just recently, where the pulley on one of the stepper motors loosened. Having become something of a regular here on the forum, I was aware that loose pulleys are THE most common mechanical problem with these machines, and was able to identify and fix the issue easily.

I would be surprised if occasional problems of that nature did not occur on the commercially produced hobbyist grade CNC machines…

1 Like
  1. Print in PLA. It is more rigid, and doesn’t shrink. It is designed for pla, and it works well.
  2. The new version may be as soon as a couple weeks, or as long as a few months. Hopefully the former, but he only has one version even drawn up, so I would not pin my hopes on a release anytime soon.
  3. Ryan comes from 3D printer design, and the commodity parts are all 3D printing parts. Imagine a big, strong 3D printer, but without all the extruder problems. Things will come loose, and belts can break. But in general, it works, and is pretty simple once you understand it.
  4. Be ready for CAM. You probably know the ins and outs of the software workflow. But CAM is like slicing on a 3D printer, but way less automated. And the materials you can cut and the bits you can use are much higher variety. So, don’t expect to just google some settings like you would for getting cura settings on your new printer. The milling basics page has some advice, but be prepared to make some firewood as you learn.

Welcome. Have fun.

3 Likes

I’d been mulling over getting a CNC for quite a while. I checked out many self-built projects and went back and forth. In the meanwhile, I got a 40 watt laser and that led me into 3D printing. I love these tools and use them all the time for lots of practical stuff and some less practical crafty stuff. The money you spend on this coupled with your own work in building couldn’t come up with a more capable machine as I see it. I’d recommend this as a first machine for anyone. I think you’d have to spend about @2,000 to get a turnkey solution as good as this. I’m happy with the design and the accuracy of my parts.

MPCNC is good with 1/8" mill bits so think about how thick that can go for cuts and for speed. If you are wanting bigger and an 1/4" it seems that the LowRider is the option.

5 Likes

Following Paradox Pete’s advice I’ve been looking at the gallery and the projects others have done. If I’m able to do similar projects then that is exactly what i’m looking for. People are doing some gorgeous stuff.

5 Likes

It depends on how u treat it. For me, my first purchase of a laser engravers when I was about 20. Without thinking too much, I picked a cheap one which from OMT, and I regard it as an useful handmaking tool. I made some amazing models, and sent them to my friends. They were really happy. Later, I found myself immersed in the sense of accomplishment of making a beautiful gift. I started thinking about creation, so I later bought more expensive ones with better performance. So it depends on how u treat them.

1 Like