Is there a list of top upgrades?

Reading the forums I’ve come across a lot of ideas (chain drags, enclosures, clamping systems). Is there a single list where all these ideas are collected and maybe even voted on?

Not yet, the only thing that is often referred to is the tape measure trick, it even gets a clickable link when you type it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The MPCNC is a very versatile machine, in the sense that people customize many factors - the build size, table setup, different kind of usage, tool shop facilities and so on. I think it would be difficult to find a common opinion on what is the best usage and upgrades. Some prefer very intricate clamping system, while other (such as me) just use a renewable spoil board and screw things down :smiley:

It would definately be interesting to see some kind of vote on how people use their machines though!

There may not be consensus on “the best 1” upgrade but there may be a cluster of ideas that generally everybody thinks is a worthy upgrade. Instead votes it could be a simple “I recommend this add-on”. I know as a new person starting out it would be helpful. Reading forums is great but it’s hard to know what ideas are awesome and which ones are gimmicky or just not that useful in the real world.

Best upgrade = primo. :grin: I kid, I kid. I know what you mean.
Seriously, though, I’ll second the opinion that what works for one person might not for another, and might not even be a consideration for a third.
I agree that it would be interesting (please, nobody complain about whether it would be useful, or helpful, or appropriate, or whatever) INTERESTING to see such a list with the number of users who found each item helpful. How would we even manage that, though?
Slightly related, my guess is that since you are asking, you might be looking for upgrades that help, and since I’m here…speed control. #1 thing that changed my game.

2 Likes

So my immediate question is: where can I learn more about speed control. If we had such a list we could have links out to learn more. :slight_smile:

Use the forum search function. It’s actually useful! :grin:

See you in about a week :grin:

1 Like

I completely understand what you are saying, but I believe most just use it as is/designed.

Mods are just that, modifying something to make it more useful for a very specific use. The machine as is is good to go, but for someone using it for laser etching vs someone milling PCB’s is going to have a pretty differnt machine from a stock carving build.

So maybe “list of mods for a xxxxx build” could work, or “links to hold down systems” but even then you have the very heavily modified builds and the people that have been so busy using it they never bothered with wire management.

So I guess welcome to my world, an open ended motion platform. Hard to even call it a CNC these days. I just keep an eye on the “builds section” and copy anything that looks useful.

4 Likes

Oh, and I hope there are no “upgrades” if so I need to make them standard. Mods for a specific use are common though.

4 Likes